Has anyone seen Dogville?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Has anyone seen Dogville?

Postby nina* » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:36 am

What did you think?
nina*

Re: Has anyone seen Dogville?

Postby christopherbaggins » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:15 pm

go see bad boy bubby an australian foreign film
christopherbaggins

Postby auteur » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:45 am

There is a constant tension that develops between realism and stylization here. The performances, shooting angles(except for 3 overhead shots), camera movement, and era-specific costumes emphasize realism. The one-stage setting, minimal props and voice-over narration emphasize the artificial and stylized. Again Trier's protagonist is a victimized female. [i]Dogville[/i] is a filmed play about the use of power and the loss of innocence. The closing credits over pictures of poor and derelict Americans to Bowie's "Young Americans" leave no doubt that, at least in part, 1930s Dogville,Colorado stands for the one superpower. Which is not to say the allegory doesn't apply elsewhere.
auteur

Postby nina* » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:41 am

The Ending credits I tought to be also just Trier's sence of humor, getting the media coverage he did after Dancer in the dark (about being anti-American), as well as to provoke the same people even more. ('SPOILERS' ahead..) Indeed this was another tale of a female martyr from Trier (what would Freud say?), but this time with a twist (thank god-lesnes). The most humiliating & dignity ripping thing happening to Grace, I would call the collar (/cross). Even so with all the raping going on.. In a way it was a calssic fairytale (/Hollywood?) story, whit Dogville being the evil stepmother and everybody getting what they deserve in the end (even Moses got his). except for that usually the main caracter doesn't get her/his own hands bloody (not in the Disney versions anyway). So, the ending wasn't really so suprising, as it is the common one (in fiction anyway..). But next to Trier's previous films, with similiar caracters & endings, I tought it was a welcome one (-there was revenge to go around). Perhaps it made this one also the most likable one . The experimental settings as well as the chapters & narrator were very effective, I think. It will be interesting to see the 2nd part of the thriology; as well as how another actress will play the same caracter, under the same direction. Also, this just might have been the most realistic picture about SOME small towns or communities (families?).
nina*

Postby nina* » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:49 am

And Im sorry, but "Bad Boy Bubby" must be one of the worst movie titles I've ever heard! It's up there with "Show me love".
nina*

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:43 am

Bad titles true...both excellent films though.

BTW, Dogville is def. anti-American. What I really am waiting for though is a chance to see Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny...
bigpoppa_2059

Postby nina* » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:24 pm

I don't think the movie it self is anti-US, just the ending credits might be a bit slap on the face.. /taking a piss (on the flag?). In any case, good song & "nice" pictures. Brown Bunny sounds like it's going to b another "Kids" type of movie, I have a passionate hate affair with Kids. But hell.. if the French like it it must b good..! Even if the director is sorry for making it.

nina*

Postby ustink » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:56 pm

Can you get any more anti-American by pissing on The Flag?
Well, I guess that different things could be done, but the mere fact bodily fluids were squirted on the flag surely cannot mean love for it.
ustink

Postby Gaz » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:03 pm

I suppose a massive terrorist attack on New York might be thought of as more anti-US than pissing on the flag.
Gaz

Postby ustink » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:23 pm

Do you think so? Of course it was against the US, but it is widely known lots of international business was being done there. Americans weren't the only ones hurt. The flag is sacred only to the US. That is, unless you are Johnny Depp.
ustink

Next

Return to Film Talk