Has anyone seen Dogville?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Has anyone seen Dogville?

Postby Gaz » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:14 pm

There have been lively political discussions here before about the war on terror, which have gotten (to use an Americanism) out of hand, so I'm not going to say any more on the subject. Though I stick by my original point.

Postby auteur » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:27 am

If by "anti-American" we mean critical of specific aspects of American domestic and foreign policy, then the term applies to the film. I propose that the final credits constitute von Trier's directive to correlate the characters' actions(misuse of power, revenge,lack of compassion, deceit, etc.) with those of the US government.

Postby nina* » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:57 pm

Ok, makes sense Auteur. & Nobody pissed on the flag Pims! I don't bow for flags or think of any flag is sacred, but by doeing eh something quite opposite to one I think one might give the flag in question the same kind of meaning.. (or meaning in general).

Postby nina* » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:00 pm

-as sacred

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:36 am

BTW, for people who haven't seen the film, the end credits show pictures of slaughters and unjustices in America throghout the years (slavery, Japanese internement camps, civil rights, racism) while David Bowie's "Young Americans" plays on the soundtrack. If that is not a slap in the face, I don't know what is. I loved the film so I don't personally disagree with it, but how can anyone debate that that is a statement on America (not a positive one either).

Postby nina* » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:20 am

I assume you mean me; I dont disagree about the connection between the ending credits & US, I aint deaf/blind. But without the ending credits there is nothing in the movie ITSELF that HAS TO have anything to do with US politics..history. Not, unless (besides the credits) the subject of the next part of the triology and the name of the triology is to count..

Return to Film Talk