Asian Cinema

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Asian Cinema

Postby gregb » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:06 pm

I have a proposition to make. Asian Cinema should have its own top 100 list. It's essential because Asian films don't get viewed as much as European imports and that's why many great Asian films would never make it to the top of the regular lists. And that's our loss, because Asian directors have been doing some amazing work, especially in the 1990s but also before.
gregb

Re: Asian Cinema

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:36 pm

Asian (for want of a better title) Cinema has been doing amazing work since the silent era! Study up & you'll see what i mean.i don't think the counties involved would like the term "Asian" as does not take cultural,political,social differences into account,Anyway China,Japan,Taiwan,India etc
all have their classics!
gratefultiger

Postby nina* » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:08 pm

You mean "countRies" ..Gratefultiger? / Gregb has a point; but oh Gregb how could you rate Amelie & La Reine Margot 1 ..oh why,why,why.. what has made you so cynical!?
nina*

Postby Gaz » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:35 pm

Off the subject, but on the theme of ratings, it seems everyone has their own rating system. I haven't rated any film on this site lower than 5, because though I may be disappointed by a film, I can usually see the good things too; added to this, if I hear that a film is very bad, I will usually refrain from watching it. There seem to be some users whose ratings are spread out evenly from 1-10. Not for me.
Gaz

Postby gregb » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:52 am

Well, to put it simply, even though I liked Amelie, I felt that it didn't deserve the high place in the top 100 it had occupied - so I used my vote to bring it to a lower place in the ratings. Incidentally, that explains my rating methodology. I rank based on how much I need to bring up/down a film to what I believe to be its deserved position in the list.
gregb

Postby nina* » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:10 am

Good call, Gaz. Naughty Gregb.. / Might be a good idea to do continental top 100s & splitting Eurasia in two parts would be the logical thing to do.. (as well as leaving north & south pole out?).
nina*

Postby gregb » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:46 am

Actually, the idea that I suggested has already been implemented. When you click on the Top 100, you'll notice that to the right of the list of movies there's a link to "Top 100 by country." So if anybody wants to check out the best of Asian film, they can use this feature to see the top lists for China, India, and Japan. I do wish though that the link was on the left sidebar along with "Top 100" by decade so it would be more noticeable
gregb

Postby kmcalma » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:27 pm

This whole idea about rating films is kind of a messy affair any way you look at it...It's ART for goodness sakes...if you want to get involved in numbers and statistics watch sports!
kmcalma

Return to Film Talk