"The return" of Andrey Zvyagintsev

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

"The return" of Andrey Zvyagintsev

Postby Mik » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:34 pm

What do you think about this new Russian film? Has anybody already seen it?
I'm from Russia, and it's very interesting for me to know, what people from other countries think about it. There are very contradictory opinions about it in our country. Many people think that, though "The return" won Golden Lion in Venice, it isn't an outstanding film, that it's only blind imitation to european films. But other people say that Zvyagintsev is "second Tarkovsky"...
What about you?
Mik

Re: "The return" of Andrey Zvyagintsev

Postby john-5 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:44 pm

Please say what you think! I heard it had a great reception at Venice and most critics expected it to win the Golden Lion (which it duly did). Some said it was the best Russian film since Tarkovsky. I look forward to it with great interest; unfortunately it hasn't got to Britain yet.

Much as i admire Russian cinema, fingers crossed you don't knock Wales out in Soccer!
john-5

Postby Mik » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:21 am

Ok, I'll say what I think about it.
This film is philosophical parable. It isn't connected with certain country and with certain time. That story could take place anywhere.
Zvyagintsev shows us children to whom father has returned after ten years' absence. It isn't, clear, if he was in prison or he has thrown them 10 years ago. He's trying to nurture them and to make of them the present men, and conflict arises between children and their father. Problems of children's growning-up, problems of children's psychology in general, their first meeting with real tragedy, continious current of life and many others eternal problems are considered in this film.
Director's work impressed me very much. Zvyagintsev is indeed Tarkovsky's follower. His attention to man's psychology, participation of nature in the film referred us to Tarkovsky's masterpieces
Well, my English is rather poor, that's why it's rather difficult for me to describe all my idaes about this film. In brief? this film is worth seeing.
Mik

Postby Mik » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:28 am

Oh, I forgot to say, that perfomance of Ivan Dobronravov is wondeful!!! I admire him!
Mik

Postby john-5 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:51 am

Spasiba. Thanks very much for that. Zdorava. Your English is fine. Wales 0 Russia 1. Pazdravlyayu! You deserved it.
john-5

Postby Mik » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:57 am

Wow! You know Russian! :)
I hope, you will like this film when it will in Britain.
P.S. Don't be upset, team of Wales will go to Euro championship next time.
Mik

Postby auteur » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:08 pm

Every single Venice winner has had distribution in the UK and USA, and so will THE RETURN. But the film is recent and we often have to wait a year or more.

The best Russian director since Tark is Mr. Aleksandr Sokurov, the director of :DAYS OF ECLIPSE, MOTHER AND SON, MOLOKH, FATHER AND SON and RUSSIAN ARK. Sokurov belongs in the pantheon of master Russian directors.
auteur

Postby john-5 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:28 pm

Sorry, Mik. I'm a fake; i only know some useful words, but i am intending to learn more as i've got a Russian phrasebook. Too often sport creates enmity, when it should bring nations closer together; i wish Russia well. You are overdue a successful tournament.

Back to films. Have you seen any films by Boris Barnet? I would love to see some, like Okraina/ Outskirts, Devuchka S Korobkoi/ Girl with the Hat Box, The House on Trubnaya Square/ Dom Na Trubnoi, and U Samovo Sinyevo Morya/ By the Bluest of Seas.

Andrei Rublev is one of the most awesome artistic achievements of the 20th century, chosen by the Vatican as the #1 recommended film. And in the summer especially i often think of Mirror/ Zerkalo- the beautiful light through the trees and the river. Tarkovsky should be much more widely known and appreciated, but we live in a world of helter-skelter action films.
john-5

Postby Mik » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:37 pm

John-5, I'm very glad to know that people from other countries appreciate Russian cinema, especially Tarkovsky. I thought that it's rether difficult for foreigners to understand his films - he's indeed a RUSSIAN filmmaker. He was an orthodox Christian, and religious theme is very important for him. Of course, "Andrey Rublev" is the supreme masterpiece. I think, it's underrated in the world. "Mirror" is also one of the greatest films ever made, but I was surprised very much, that it's very popular in other countries (it's in TOP100 on the 9th place here). I thought, that it's purely Russian film. So, I'm glad to know that foreigners appreciate Tarkovsky very much. I recommend you to see "Nostalghia". I think it's also a masterpiece. Most of people in Russia think that it's the best Tarkovsky's film after "Andrey Rublev".
As for, Boris Barnet. Unfortunately, I can't find his films. You see, in our cinemas we see only popular American commercial films (Matrix, Terminator and so on)... It's very pity... And I can't find DVD or VHS with his films
Mik

Postby john-5 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:01 pm

I admire all 7 of his feature films (though i agree with Tarkovsky himself; he was less pleased with Solaris).

You may be interested in Senses of Cinema internet magazine, which has a fine article on him, and to see that Mirror in particular is doing very well in a poll of top 10's there. It was voted the favourite film of Russian critics in a 1995 poll, i think- a big change from when it came out and had a lot of criticism for being too obscure for the public.

Eisenstein is another great director who seems a bit out of favour at the moment, for some reason, but i'm still a big admirer. We screened Battleship Potemkin at our film society, with specially composed musical accompaniment, and it was a success, of course.

Oh, and Man with a Movie Camera (Vertov) is a brilliant film.

Another less well known silent director is Yevgeni Bauer. He was overlooked after the 1917 Revolution but has been rediscovered. Have you seen anything by him? It would be a great shame if even in Russia your magnificent cinema tradition is overpowered by Hollywood. For instance, i wonder if the shower scene in Psycho would have existed (at least with the famous editing) if it hadn't been for Eisenstein and the Russian montage pioneers.
john-5

Next

Return to Film Talk