"The return" of Andrey Zvyagintsev

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: "The return" of Andrey Zvyagintsev

Postby Mik » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:55 am

Dear john-5! Thank you for reference "Senses of Cinema". This site is very interesting. Of course, all Tarkovsky's films are great. But, as for me, I think "Andrey Rublev", "The Mirror" and "Nostalghia" are supreme masterpieces.
I agree with you, Eisenstein is a great director. I think, he's underrated in the West. But his great contribution to cinematography is amazing. I think, "Battleship Potemkin" is one of the greatest films ever made.
Unfortunately, Hollywood is everywhere even in Russia. There are only two cinemas in Moscow, where we can see masterpieces of Russian and foreign great directors.
Mik

Postby john-5 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:35 pm

You will be pleased to hear that our local film society here in Wales screened Andrei Rublev and Mirror, also Burnt by the Sun, Alexander Nevsky and Battleship Potemkin (with my friend's specially composed score to accompany- he's a brilliant silent film composer). Perhaps we'll do Man with a Movie Camera next time (if we can't get The Passion of Joan of Arc), but he says there's already a superb score for it and he'd rather do ones where there's obvious room for improvement. At our screenings, Andrei Rublev was probably admired most, but the fools didn't like Mirror much. That wasn't helped by a blazing public row between the cinema owner and our (former) secretary just before it started!! We will be showing Russian Ark in the Spring.
john-5

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:38 pm

Mik,we love our Russian cinema here down under i am waiting to view the film u mentioned also the great Sokurov's
"Father & Son" Welcome aboard Mik...Cheers
gratefultiger

Previous

Return to Film Talk