Finnish Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Finnish Films

Postby ustink » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:29 pm

Has anyone ever seen any really good Finnish films? Also would like good recommendations of Dutch and Swedish movies.
Thanks!
ustink

Re: Finnish Films

Postby Gaz » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:16 pm

The films of Aki Kaurismaki are the ideal introduction to Finnish cinema - try The Man Without a Past - very dry and very funny (if it suits your sense of humour).

Bergman is the best place to start with Swedish films - Wild Strawberries and Fanny and Alexander are both good starting points if you don't know them already.
Gaz

Postby ustink » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:45 pm

thanks gaz. will try them out. loved fanny and alexander,haven't seen wild strawberries yet. heard finnish cinema was tiresome and boring so would like to see if that is true...
ustink

Postby Gaz » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:08 pm

I think some people do have this experience, but if you try some of Kaurismaki's better films like The Man Without a Past or Leningrad Cowboys Go America (kind of a Finnish Spinal Tap), you'll soon find out.
Gaz

Postby ustink » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:20 pm

finnish spinal tap.
who knew this existed?
well, besides Gaz.
very intriguing. will be scouting obscure video stores ASAP
ustink

Postby nina* » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:40 am

If you can get you're hands on some 40s or 50s movies they're generally great.. (a bit naive & stupid sometimes, but in a good way). For example the "Pekka Puupää & Pätkä" movies directed by Armand Lohikoski are Fantastic. I suppose they would be the Laurel & Hardy of the Finnish cinema scene.. two lovable idiots. I'll keep my mouth shut about the more recent stuff, but I am biased and anyway haven't really even seen that mutch of it.. (=successfully avoided). I suppose there has been some decent films made in the last few years(?). The Kaurismäki brothers at least have been doeing well, but I think they are actually more appreciated outside of Finland, witch tells something. Related to "Fanny and Alexander", Jörn Donner was one of the producers of the movie and the only Finn ever to win an Oscar (4 the same movie). From his movies, I think "f*ck! Images of Finland" is mentioned on this site. BTW David Lynch is part Finnish witch should make sense if you've ever been to Finland..;-). Some linx: some info/ history (& answers why it is what it is) of Finnish cinema can b found here.. www.sea.fi/english/cinema.html; Some movies witch one might have tought were shot in Russia (except moi, of course..eh) but they really weren't.. www25.brinkster.com/finhollywood/HollywoodgoestoFinland/
nina*

Postby john-5 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:38 pm

The Estonian- set Finnish co-production Darkness in Tallinn is a heist film well worth seeing.

From Denmark; Festen, Pelle the Conqueror, Babette's Feast, Mifune and classics by the great Carl Dreyer- Ordet, Day of Wrath, Vampyr. Lars Von Trier is a very popular and generally admired Danish director.

Sweden; Bergman's Persona, The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny and Alexander, Cries and Whispers are all placed very high in this site's top 100. Show me Love (Moodysson) is an excellent film about a teenage lesbian crush that develops into something more. My Life as a Dog (Hallstrom) is a childhood crowd-pleaser.
john-5

Postby Gaz » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:27 pm

Yes, I'd forgotten about Lukas Moodysson. His most recent film, Lilya 4-Ever, is the best new film I've seen this year.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:42 pm

Kauramaki's deadpan humour always appeals to me,lenigrad cowboys go to america is very funny as is all his stuff.
Drifting Clouds is his masterpiece i believe.
gratefultiger

Postby jpmccusa-1 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:02 pm

"kahlekuningas" is a lot of fun, but it has its serious side too.
jpmccusa-1

Next

Return to Film Talk