Has anyone seen Le Boucher directed by Chabral?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Has anyone seen Le Boucher directed by Chabral?

Postby saratw2 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:24 pm

I have not seen any of Chabral's films. But I am thinking of renting Le Boucher. What is your opinion of Le Boucher and of Chabral?
saratw2

Re: Has anyone seen Le Boucher directed by Chabral?

Postby Gaz » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:31 pm

I haven't seen many films by Chabrol, but he is very highly thought of as a suspense director and I would recommend Le Boucher very strongly. Jean Yanne and Stephane Audran are both excellent and the film contains one of my favourite scenes in all cinema, a Baroque dance sequence performed by Audran's class. There's also the wonderful and original moment with the blood falling from a great height. Don't miss it.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:42 am

Le boucher is a classic Audran is always cool,the epitome of gallic charm,with blonde hair to boot!
gratefultiger

Postby groom_daniel » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:54 pm

I've seen several Chabrol films. My favourite is Une Affaire De Femmes (The Story of Women). Le Boucher is a really good film. It's a psychological thriller, but there's little in the way of suspense. It's more of a nuanced character study in violence, morality and sexual frustration, sort of a cross between Hitchcock and Henri-Georges Clouzot.
groom_daniel

Postby saratw2 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:53 pm

I just watched Le Boucher by Chabrol. It was really unusual and I loved it. I also watched it again with the commentary on the DVD which helped me see a lot of things I had missed. In some ways it was deeper than Hitchcock.

Now, what other Chabrol movies should I see?
saratw2

Postby PerditaDurango » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:42 am

You really can't go wrong with any Chabrol films which star Isabelle Huppert.
My personal favorite is La Ceremonie which features some great acting from Huppert and Sandrine Bonnaire as well as suspense. The viewer gets a sense from the opening that something very bad will happen before the film ends.
PerditaDurango

Postby saratw2 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:03 pm

Alas, it is not on DVD so Netflix doesn't have it.

I agree with you about Hupport. I saw her in The Piano Teacher and in 8 Women. She is wonderful and so versatile.

I'll see if she is in any other Chabrol films at Netflix.
saratw2

Postby groom_daniel » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:41 pm

Isabelle Huppert stars in Une Affaire de Femmes (The Story of Women). I think it's a film of depth and power, with an incredible human touch that makes it a joy to watch. Its "smallness" kills me, the story is told entirely through character relationships, but deals with such large emotions, and Chabrol shows so much restraint in getting genuine emotion and real feeling out of the story and subject matter. I thought it was magnificent. Violette Nozière is a similar Chabrol/Huppert film.
groom_daniel

Return to Film Talk