Is there a future for cinema?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Is there a future for cinema?

Postby fugl_foeniks » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:48 pm

I ask this because I don't find any of the films I've seen from the last years very challenging, interesting or fascinating. Harmony Korine's two first films, made in the late 90's, are exceptions, but that's five years ago (just think about what happened in the world of film between for instance 1965 and 1970!). I don't see a director like Kiarostami bringing anything new to cinema. Why is it like this? Is cinema as an art form used up, or is it something about contemporary society that doesn't give space enough for inventive films? The answer is maybe both, or it could be that an explosive end to cinema is yet to come. Like in litterature, popular music and so on, there are not any periods in films anymore. Just think of the late 60's and 70's, with the American New Wave (Altman, Rafelson, Scorsese etc.), New German Cinema (Fassbinder, Herzog, Wenders etc.), Third Cinema (Rocha, Alea, Sembene) and so on. What kind of society are we heading towards, without proper art forms to express ourselves within? What can we do to save cinema?

P.S. Sorry for spelling mistakes (if any).
fugl_foeniks

Re: Is there a future for cinema?

Postby john-5 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:31 pm

Cinema may not be dead as an art form as Greenaway says, but it seems to be falling into a deep coma. Imagine being around in France or Italy in the late 50's, early 60's; what an exciting time that must have been in comparison. We now settle for such pale derivative work, mistake special effects advancements, bigger explosions, more lurid violence and ever-faster funfair rides as if that's progress, when it's all part of a teeming unwholesome mass in the slough of despond, for me. Follow my "20 greatest" thread for the contemporary films that really fit the bill.
john-5

Postby groom_daniel » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:01 am

The 90's saw a renaissance in world cinema that's carried over to today. Asian cinema is stronger than its ever been. I don't have any complaints.
groom_daniel

Postby john-5 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:24 pm

Yeah, there are more good international films from a wide range of countries- Iran, Latin America have also come on strong in the last decade. But truly great masterpieces are very few and far between, i think. Maborosi, Mulholland Drive, Ulysses' Gaze the best of the last 10 years, i think, but even they are not the most original artistic groundbreakers. A clear and obvious leap forward has been too long in coming.
john-5

Postby groom_daniel » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:35 am

You don't get filmmakers like Mizoguchi anymore, but that's because of the fall of the studio system. Mizoguchi couldn't remember how many films he made, nowdays a director will be lucky to make 15 films in his career. People don't get the apprenticeships that they had in the old days. The exceptions are directors of rare talent. What makes up for that is diversity -- films from South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, The Phillipines -- that was unimaginable in Mizoguchi's day. If that's the trade-off, I can live with it. There's no shortage of talented people in the world, what's important is access to the technology. So long as people are making films, cinema is still alive. Unfortunately, it's expensive. I also think it takes time to appreciate what we have, people won't gain perspective on 90s filmmaking for awhile. It's much easier to be impressed by cinema from 50 years ago than the recent past, but 90s cinema was incredibly prosperous, eventually its best will be considered all-time classics.
groom_daniel

Postby fugl_foeniks » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:40 am

I'm sure that if something exciting will happen in the future of cinema it will take place somewhere in Asia. They invented film in France, but I can't name one interesting young director in the country. Sad.
fugl_foeniks

Postby auteur » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:41 pm

Cinema is alive and well. Some posts above reek of nostalgia. g-d makes sense, yet again. Part of the problem might be poor distribution and marketing of "challenging" fare.
As far as French directors, how about Laurent Cantet, Claire Denis, Olivier Assayas and Gaspar Noe. Francois Ozon and many others are less consistent, but still accomplished.
I list 20 of my fave current auteurs in the "modern directors" thread and feel bad for excluding another 20 or so.
auteur

Postby Gaz » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:10 pm

Damien Odoul's Le Souffle is one of the most thought-provoking new films I saw last year. I have seen nothing to suggest that French cinema is dans la maison du chien.
Gaz

Postby fugl_foeniks » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:28 pm

I was maybe too hard on French cinema and modern cinema in general. There are great films being made today, and I can to a certain degree see cinema progress. However, most people only see Hollwood films, and that's really dangerous. Film should not be like what opera, theatre and modern music has become. It should be for the masses, not for an elite. I hope that will change.
fugl_foeniks

Postby fugl_foeniks » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:34 pm

By the way, I checked up "Le Souffle" on IMDB, and it looked real interesting. Do you know if it's possible to get this film on video or DVD (with English subtitles)?
fugl_foeniks

Next

Return to Film Talk