Sansho Dazu!!

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Sansho Dazu!!

Postby fugl_foeniks » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:31 pm

I saw my first Mizoguchi film last night. I had heard that he was a great director, but I didn't know how good the film would be. Magic is the only word I can use to describe it! I saw the film on a TV screen, but still it's one of my top three film experiences ever. Today I rented "The Life of Oharu" from my local library, but I'm gonna wait a few days before I see it. "Sansho Dazu" has more in common with poetry than to most movies I have seen before. The nature shots, the camera movement, the sounds, it was all just perfect. It was also interesting to see how the Medieval Japanese society was like. It is a sad, but beautiful story. I strongly recomend this film!
fugl_foeniks

Re: Sansho Dazu!!

Postby john-5 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:50 pm

Sansho Dayu/ Sansho the Bailiff, about the misfortune befalling the wife and children of an exiled feudal governor, is my favourite film, so i'm absolutely delighted by your response. New fans/ converts to the great man most welcome. It's ridiculously low in the top 100 here, but that's due in large part to a sudden flurry of votes, marking down Japanese films, 2 years ago.

It's engrossing and poignant, aches with longing, and the cinematography- ravishing landscapes in shades of luminous silver- painterly compositions and the serene fluid camerawork are sublime. As i've said before, in one scene- lovely Kyoko Kagawa as Anju- a few ripples carry more impact than a Hollywood tidal wave. The final gentle crane shot over the beach, a model of typically unobtrusive technique, transcends the story and takes us into the world beyond.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:59 pm

I hope you're not disappointed with Oharu. Like Sansho and 2 others by Mizoguchi (Story of the Late Chrysanthemums, Ugetsu) it was voted in the top 100 in Sight and Sound's poll of international critics last year, and like Ugetsu and Sansho won the Silver Lion at Venice. It was the film that brought Mizoguchi to world attention, after Kurosawa's Rashomon's success the previous year. The lighting and camerawork are superb again, but it makes less use of beautiful scenery and i know it's a bit relentless in its depiction of suffering for some tastes. It has grown on me with repeated viewings, and the quality of the film-making once again transcends the painful moments depicted. Look for the famous Toshiro Mifune, rather uncharacteristically cast in a supporting role as Oharu's idealistic lower-class lover. Oharu herself is played by Mizoguchi's regular leading lady and one-time girlfriend, the great Kinuyo Tanaka, who was the mother in Sansho. You'll also recognise Eitaro Shindo (another Mizoguchi regular) who played nasty Sansho himself.
john-5

Postby fugl_foeniks » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:01 pm

Soory for spelling mistake: I meant Sansho DaYu of course:)
fugl_foeniks

Return to Film Talk