The greatest living director?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: The greatest living director?

Postby AY » Wed Aug 02, 2000 12:19 am

I was lucky enough to catch a Hou Hsiao-Hsien retrospective about a month ago and I haven't been thinking about many other movies since. I won't even pretend to have seen enough movies to decide on the best living director, but as far as the 90's are concerned, I don't think there are many bodies of work (outside of Kiarostami's, possibly) that can even begin to approach what Hou Hsiao-Hsien has done this past decade. His movies have stuck in my consciousness like nothing else has in a very long time.
AY

Postby C.A. Childers » Wed Aug 02, 2000 1:22 pm

Lars von Trier, at least if you don't include american directors on the list.
C.A. Childers

Postby Maconda » Wed Aug 09, 2000 6:04 am

Almodovar
Von Trier
Zanussi (or is he dead...?)
Maconda

Postby LF_CELINE » Wed Aug 09, 2000 7:08 pm

I always hate having to pick out a "greatest director of all time", simply because...well, there are so many..

I'd agree with Kiastorami or Ho Hsiau-Hsen...Von Trier as a person can get on my nerves, but his films (with the exception of "Zentropa") usually blow me away...I'd also like to throw Emir Kusturica on this list, along with David Cronenberg, Takeshi Kitano, Seijun Suzuki (is he still alive?), Tian Zhuangzhuang, Dario Argento, Lindsay Anderson, Ronny Yu, and Wong Kar-Wei.

I'd also throw Wes Anderson on any best living directors list...I know, he's an American, but hey...he did "Bottle Rocket" and "Rushmore"....what more can I say....
LF_CELINE

Postby LF_CELINE » Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:06 pm

my bad...Lindsey Anderson's dead...
LF_CELINE

Postby BEK » Thu Aug 17, 2000 2:14 am

I totally agree on Hou Hsiao-Hsien and Abbas Kiarostami. Two infallible filmmakers still working hard today. I'd also add Wong Kar-wai and Takeshi Kitano. Wong Kar-wai is easily the best Hong Kong director of smart, arthouse films. And Takeshi Kitano has made a lot of very dumb movies, but he got much better with Sonatine and his masterpiece Fireworks.
BEK

Postby Jepp » Sun Sep 03, 2000 1:13 am

Greatest living director? Probably Zhang Yimou. Greatest living American director (I can see the eyebrows being raised): David Lynch.
Jepp

Postby katsuben » Mon Sep 11, 2000 12:45 pm

Hou Hsiao-hsien, Raul Ruiz, Wong Kar-Wai, Alexander Kluge, Miklos Jancso.Then: Angelopolous, Kiarostami, Alain Resnais, JLG, Dusan Makavejev, Terrence Malick, Scorsese, Zanussi, Zhang YimouThen: David Cronenberg, Kusturica, Nikita Mikhalkov, Tran Anh Hung, Takeshi Kitano, Agnes VardaThen: Lynch, Fincher, Polanski, Federico Solanas, Soderbergh, Lars, Nagisa OshimaMaybe. (Unless they're dead already.)
katsuben

Postby LF_CELINE » Tue Sep 12, 2000 5:49 pm

a few more to throw on:

Julio Medim
Deepha Mehta
Tony Gaitlif
David Fincher
Tony Scott (yeah, his brother's put out 3 masterpieces, but Tony's been CONSISTENTLY better)
Werner Herzog
Sam Raimi (I see a few eybrows raising)
the Coen Brothers
Giussepe Tornatore
Chen Kaige
Tsui Hark (the Hong Kong Spielberg...except Tsui hasn't forgotten what fun is)
Errol Morris
Doris Dorrie
LF_CELINE

Postby acquarello » Tue Sep 12, 2000 6:05 pm

LF_Celine, finally, a second vote for Julio Medem! :)

I also agree with Hou Hsiao-Hsien and Abbas Kiarostami. Another name to throw in is Aleksandr Sokurov - I noticed that his name or filmography doesn't even show up on foreignfilms.com. That's a shame. "The Second Circle" and "Mother and Son" are quite visually breathtaking films to behold.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations