Patti's top five foreign films of all time:
1. 8 1/2. Fabulous, creative, spiritual non-linear masterpiece. Among the best uses of cinematic tecnique of all time.
2. Rashamon. Magnificent photograpy, acting, moving and spiritual, very inspring.
3. Seventh Seal. Deep exploration into life and Death. Loving look at the simple folk, understand of the nobility, and above all,
a courageous look at the fear of death, and the escape of those sweet little people at the end, who will get it later anyway. But I do love the man's(actor's) little escape, and the joyous feeling at the end.
4. Winter Light. Unremmitingly bleak. I love it. (No sentimentality, that's for sure.)
5. Cries and Whispers. Magnificently acted, fearless in showing the pain of death, family discord, yet there's that slight Bergman redemption of a happy family memory in the end(similar to the old man's memories in Wild Strawberries.)
I appreciate your questions, comments on any of these. Thanks, have been dying toshare my favorites.