Best of '99: RUN LOLA RUN

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best of '99: RUN LOLA RUN

Postby jman » Thu May 25, 2000 1:39 am

Although it's hard to compare this film with the classics of foreign cinema, RUN LOLA RUN is one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen, period. Even my parents, otherwise subtitle-phobic, enjoyed it.

Perhaps this film marks a new movement in cinema, much as Truffaut's THE 400 BLOWS marked the beginning of the French New Wave?
jman

Re: Best of '99: RUN LOLA RUN

Postby acquarello » Tue Jun 06, 2000 12:02 pm

Actually, my vote for best film would go to either the Dardennes' "Rosetta" or Almodovar's "All About My Mother." Tykver's "Run Lola Run" seemed more of a triumph of style over substance.
acquarello

Postby jman » Sat Jun 24, 2000 1:27 pm

Which brings us to a good question: must a film have substance in order for it to be a good film? Or is it enough to present us with an original idea that is entertaining and challenges ordinary filmmaking techniques?
jman

Postby acquarello » Tue Jun 27, 2000 3:09 pm

Good point. My personal preference would be for substance, but that's certainly a preference for visceral reaction over technical precision. This probably has much in common with the Truffaut/Godard debate as well. I would pick Truffaut because of his narrative, but I will concede that Godard is the superior film maker of the two.

Take the case of Alain Resnais's "Hiroshima mon Amour" and "Last Year at Marienbad", which are both structurally elliptical and thematically similar in the exploration of time and haunted memory. I tend to watch "Hiroshima mon Amour" more often because of the engaging story. Although "Last Year at Marienbad" is more visually stunning, it seems fragmented and serves more as an adept technical exercise than a treatise of human existence.
acquarello

Postby C.A. Childers » Wed Aug 02, 2000 1:25 pm

LOLA Was an empty and weak example of foriegn bubblegum. Classic case of style over substance and most likely intended to be a vehicle for the director's music career, moreso than anything else.
C.A. Childers

Postby whiterat » Thu Aug 03, 2000 7:35 pm

RUN LOLA RUN was utterly worthless. Like watching MTV as a tape loop.
People are so quick to praise something seemingly innovative without ever stopping to think about why this "innovation" had never been done before.
Sometimes things aren't done because they shouldn't be! Innovation is not an end in itself. There is no style/substance dichotomy. Style is part of substance and vice versa. When one is unsuccesful in one area one is unsuccesful in both.
Such is the case of RUN LOLA RUN.
whiterat

Postby jman » Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:07 pm

According to the above criteria PULP FICTION is "worthless".
jman

Postby chris » Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:45 pm

Run Lola Run is neither worthless or MTV trash,take it at face value and stop trying to disect it and its a good entertaining film which you can just plain enjoy.
chris

Postby 4seam » Sat Aug 05, 2000 4:15 am

I completely forgot that LOLA was a foreign film until I ran into this board ( not that I saw a dubbed version ). I didn't see every foreign film being released but I liked a documentary film on klaus Kinski, "My Best Fiend " by W. Herzog. I found it highly entertaining.
4seam

Postby cinemasmooch » Fri Aug 11, 2000 4:40 pm

I found it very entertaining and I especially liked the high-energy soundtract.
cinemasmooch

Return to Lists and Recommendations