Best Director Live or Dead

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best Director Live or Dead

Postby sanford-x » Sat May 27, 2000 2:36 am

I submit the following:
Pasolini
Wenders

It is hard to say who is best live or dead. Plenty will throw down their ideas, flex their egos, say this and that, but all that matters in film is what titillates the senses, what grabs the eye, throws you on the ground and screams "watch me". SO I humbly submit the above two, maybe not the best, but by far the most thought provoking.
sanford-x

Re: Best Director Live or Dead

Postby acquarello » Tue Jun 06, 2000 12:07 pm

My vote would go to Carl-Theodor Dreyer who continued to defy established cinematic language throughout his career.
acquarello

Postby VoiceOver » Thu Jun 29, 2000 10:14 am

Andrei Tarkovsky; nobody else even comes close.
VoiceOver

Postby jman » Thu Jun 29, 2000 11:29 am

Anyone trying to answer this question should have a look at the work of Kenji Mizoguchi (1898-1956). Don't let the dates fool you, his films are complex, suspenseful, entertaining, and way ahead of their time. In particular, see A Geisha, one of the best films ever made, period.
jman

Postby acquarello » Thu Jun 29, 2000 1:30 pm

I've only seen 5 Mizoguchi films: Sansho Dayu, Ugetsu Monogatari, 47 Ronin, Story of the Last Chrysanthemum, and Life of Oharu--and he definitely has my attention. I'd put him on par with Ozu (around #3), just slightly below Tarkovsky and maybe Bergman. If Geisha is anything like Life of Oharu, I'll be depressed for weeks.
acquarello

Postby dan-2 » Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:55 am

Best! Best!! Best!!! What a silly and unproductive game. Like naming the Best Composer/Painter/Poet of All Time. All I really know is I have a few favorites, but why they appeal to me before any others is entirely personal and ultimately quite mysterious.
dan-2

Postby VoiceOver » Mon Jul 17, 2000 8:22 am

Since this is a thread about best-worst lists, don't be surprised if posted messages do just that. If you don't like it, don't post here (= this thread), makes no sense complaining about it.
VoiceOver

Postby cathouse » Fri Jul 21, 2000 11:50 am

All the above certainly qualify, especially the Japenese directors. But my all time favorite was the little tramp, Charlie Chaplin.
cathouse

Postby Maconda » Wed Aug 09, 2000 6:21 am

uhm...Bunuel and Yimou Zang. How come no one mentioned them before?
Maconda

Postby LF_CELINE » Wed Aug 09, 2000 7:20 pm

My submission-

Charles Chaplin
Francois Truffaut
Carl Theodore Dreyer
Alfred Hitchcock
Jean Renoir
Akira Kurosawa
Luis Bunuel
Seijun Suzuki