Jean-Luc Godard Festival

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Jean-Luc Godard Festival

Postby Dizzy_Bird » Wed Nov 08, 2000 11:30 pm

The George Eastman House is playing the films of Jean-Luc Godard all November and December to celebrate Godard's 70th birthday. Le Petit Soldat was screened last night, a film I had been waiting to see for quite some time, and I must say with all honesty, that it was a huge disappointment. First the copy of the film was in horrible shape, the film was scratched, and boiled, and the soundtrack had a really annoying pop through out it's entirity. But anway, aside from the overall degredation of the reels, the film wasn't really worth the stock it's printed on. Anna Karina is on screen for a total of perhaps ten minutes (if that). What a waste?! The film bogs down whenever the plot concerns anyone but her. The non-sense about all the assassination attempts, and the torture scenes, are embarrassingly amateurish, and even his normal witty charm is so pretentious. I almost fell asleep during the film!!!!! What a let-down. If anybody else has seen the film, I would love to hear your comments.
Dizzy_Bird

Re: Jean-Luc Godard Festival

Postby solent » Tue Nov 14, 2000 9:43 pm

I taped the film off of SBS [Australian TV] 5 years ago and upon first viewing was also bored/confused. Having seen it at least 5 times since then I would say that it is certainly Godard's most conventional film and his least successful film because of this. I don't mind the film so much now but the character of Bruno still annoys me. He is consistently morose and a pseudo-intellectual.
solent

Re: Jean-Luc Godard Festival

Postby Dizzy_Bird » Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:49 am

Just saw Woman is a Woman last night, the first time on the big screen. It was fantastic as usual. The print was absolutely wonderful, crystal clear, and the subtitles were actually legible. The film itself was very charming and whimsical. One thing that I noticed upon this screening was the use of Godard's spacing. His characters are particularly small in this film, he films them from a very removed spectrum, and allows almost the entire screen to be filled with non-human objects (streets, cars, lights, signs, etc.) He seems to be distancing his eye and perhaps stating that Hollywood musicals are nothing more than eye-candy. The colours seemed more vibrant than I remember, Godard is at his most playful here. If you have seen the film please leave comments.
Dizzy_Bird

Return to Film Talk