Best Director Live or Dead

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Director Live or Dead

Postby RickyFitts » Thu Aug 10, 2000 6:57 am

Akira Kurasawa
Stanley Kubrick
---(minus eyes wide shut....which was a trajedy that it was his last film.)
RickyFitts

Postby CClaudel » Mon Aug 21, 2000 4:09 am

1.Welles
2. Hitchcock
3. About 30 others
CClaudel

Postby Jepp » Mon Aug 28, 2000 4:15 am

Francois Truffaut.

I have many other favorites, but no one else comes close to Truffaut.
Jepp

Postby Garrett Anderson » Thu Aug 31, 2000 4:51 pm

Hard to say best, but favorite living are Takeshi Kitano and Peter Greenaway, dead Kubrick, Fellini, Kurasawa, and Pasolini.
Garrett Anderson

Postby katsuben » Mon Sep 11, 2000 12:48 pm

Hitch.Then: Welles.Then: Antonioni.Then: list the rest below. BELOW. B.E.L.O.W.:)
katsuben

Postby MAGGI » Tue Sep 12, 2000 5:27 pm

Does anyone remember Visconti??????
MAGGI

Postby videolionvideo » Wed Oct 25, 2000 6:25 am

KIESLOWSKI ---- DECALOGUE,BLUE,BLIND CHANCE,& NO END
HITCHCOCK -----VERTIGO,NOTORIUS,PSYCHO,MARNIE,REAR WINDOW
ALMODOVAR----ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER,WOMEN ON VERGE,LAWS/DESIRE
GILLES MIMOUNI-----L'APPARTEMENT (Great First Film)
ROBERT LEPAGE ----LE CONFESSIONAL,NO,POSSIBLE WORLDS
videolionvideo

Postby nitin jagdish » Wed Oct 25, 2000 12:14 pm

my absolute favorite one shot: luigi fulci's "don't torture a duckling" (even with the grotesquely obvious dummy at the end)

genre subversives: david cronenberg (is it horror, or masterfully sculpted cartharsis/melodrama?) john woo (is it action, or the poetry of nostalgia?)

usual suspects: tarkovsky, godard, truffaut, lang, leigh, kurosawa, fellini (8.5 and amacord notwithstanding), and the american contingent (welles,scorsese,coppola,allen,lee)

everyone's favorite whipping boy, but i love him: roberto benigni

special mention: nothing depresses me more than seeing what a forgotten master satyajit ray has become. his 'apu trilogy' ranks as one of the ten greatest achievements in film, and several of his other films [such as 'devi,' 'charulata,' and 'the home and the world'] were merely masterpieces that would have been peaks for other directors. although he adapted from plays, novels, and novellas, his movies were pure cinema. as i prepare to make my first movie, i watch his movies for inspiration.
and yet, he is not mentioned in the same breath as bergman, kurosowa, et. al., directors whom i would place a notch below ray. finding ray's pictures (other than the trilogy) in the u.s. is difficult, if not impossible. oh well.

unlikely pick: bob fosse

"flavor of the month" who will last: lars von trier
nitin jagdish

Postby Tulse Luper » Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:19 am

Luis Buñuel
David Lynch
Peter Greenaway
Alexandro Jodorowsky

The best four directors of all time; In that order.
Tulse Luper

Postby Tony Block » Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:25 pm

Luis Bunuel. He made great, great films for almost 50 years starting with his great surrealistic films of the late 20s/early 30s, his great mexican (The New World) period from 49 Los Olvidados to the mid 60s Extermintaing Angel/Simon of the Desert & his great Spanish/French (European) phase from 1960s Viridiana to the 1970s Discreet Charm. He never failed to amaze, charm, change & educate us. cheers, Tony Block
Tony Block

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations