Best Director Live or Dead

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Director Live or Dead

Postby john-5 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:42 pm

i was about to ask a similar question-though there's always the difficulty in separating the personal/subjective,i.e."favourites",from the objective.,i.e "greatest".
Anyway,my own favourites are:
MIZOGUCHI,Renoir,Tarkovsky(pleasantly surprised to see so many of you rate him),Hitchcock,Kubrick,early Wenders(his later work has been a terrible disappointment).To a lesser extent, Rohmer,Ophuls.... I 've greatly admired those Angelopoulos films i've seen.
Of course, Kurosawa,Bergman,Fellini,Welles,Godard,Bunuel,Kiarostami,Kieslowski,Dreyer,Bresson,Eisenstein and Ozu have been important and still greatly admired by many.And Murnau, for Sunrise especially, also Nosferatu.(Silent films aren't seen enough by the public, should be more accessible internationally).Of British directors,Michael Powell is surely the best,though i know Lean has many American admirers.The critical esteem of De Sica, Chaplin,Griffith has faded,i think.Truffaut has been rather overrated,in my opinion.I'm not at all enamoured of Spielberg, but if you're judging "greatest" by commercial success(i hope not!)...
Important directors from relatively neglected areas include;Ray,Sembene,Chahine,Dutt,Ghatak.Indian Cinema is only now receiving close attention,and Africa and Latin America still await proper recognition;the international consensus and "canon" of greats will evolve...

Postby Ockien » Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:01 pm

No way Tarkovsky's the man and so is Kubrick doesn't get much better than them in my opinion! They have both passed and have left little in the way of quantity as in they weren't prolific, but it's worth it if most or all of your films are considered classics.

Postby john-5 » Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:42 am

My surprise about the frequent mentions of Tarkovsky is not a reflection on the standing i think he should have,(as the fact i list him as one of my favourites makes clear),just that i hadn't realised quite so many people share my opinion.He's certainly a lot less well known in Britain than,say,Bergman,Fellini and Kurosawa,but then the wider public here aren't connoisseurs of World Cinema!Bergman of course considered him "the greatest".Andrei Rublev and Mirror are absolute masterpieces.
I neglected to mention some important American directors:Ford,Hawks,Altman,Scorsese,Allen, and several fine current international directors;Hou Hsiao-Hsien,Yang,Zhang Yimou(though his recent efforts have been relatively mediocre),Almodovar(i'm not his greatest fan,i must admit,but i have enjoyed most of his films)...
Not many mentions of female directors so far, i notice.

Postby Ockien » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:38 am

Don't you mean we are conoissuers of world cinema? Cause I know about all of those people and I live in Canada. I also must say I notice that people who are not american cite Scorsese's King Of Comedy as highly praised and does not get the recognition at home perhaps from film reviewer's though. But of course this isn't nessecarily true, it's just what I've noted, like Taxi Driver, Mean Streets and Goodfellas are also good, my personal favorite is Goodfellas but Raging Bull I don't like as much. Tarkovsky is in the same league as Bergman, Kurosawa, Fellini and any other director you consider great.

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:08 pm

i'm not sure i've made myself clear.When i said "here" i meant in Britain, not this website.It's been my impression from various polls,critical and public opinion i'd come across,certainly in Britain,that Bergman,Kurosawa and Fellini are better known and probably more highly esteemed than Tarkovsky.This certainly doesn't mean i agree with the situation-far from it.So,as i love and admire Tarkovsky greatly,in fact more so than the 3 directors i mentioned,i was pleased to see a large number of this website users also rate him as among the very greatest.I DON'T mean the British are connoisseurs;i'm bemoaning the failure to properly recognise Tarkovsky's qualities.So as far as i can see,we're on the same side on this one!

Postby mani_fh » Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:37 am

1. Fellini
2. Kiarostami
3. Trantino
4. Kustrica
5. Lynch

Postby somegreatmovies » Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:53 am

O. Micheaux
J. Rivette
K. Anger
S. Brakhage
O. Sembene
D. Lynch
J. Ford
J. Demme (though I have no great affection for Silence of the Lambs)

Postby somegreatmovies » Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:10 pm

Oh yeah...
M. Mahkmalbaf could I have forgotten?

Postby somegreatmovies » Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:16 pm

E. Yang
W. Wenders (solely on the stregth of 'Wrong Move')
C. Denis
A. Warhol
S. Spielberg
B. DePalma
M. Scorsese
R. Altman
V. Erice
C. Chaplin
R. Flaherty
N. Ray (for 'Bigger than Life')
H. Hawks
...this is fun

Postby gary-2 » Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:40 pm

Hitch is most prolofic...
Tarkovsky in a class by himself...
Personal favorites include Eric Rohmer and Ming-Liang Tsai
Gosh... there are so many... Antonioni, Bergman, Dryer... but what about Robert Bresson ?

Return to Lists and Recommendations