Best Director Live or Dead

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Director Live or Dead

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:29 pm

the imcomparable jean renoir is still the greatest does anybody rememember him ? the wisest man to make films,other greats dreyer,bresson,parajanov,tarkovsky,kurosawa,mizoguchi,ozu,
naruse,kiarostami,murnau,fellini,luc godard etc
gratefultiger

Postby humanbeing » Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:03 am

MR STANLEY KUBRICK is the greatest of them all !
humanbeing

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:37 pm

CLAUDE CHABROL MIKE LEIGH KEN LOACH CLAUDE CHABROL KEN LOACH MIKE LEIGH CLAUDE CHABROL MIKE LEIGH KEN LOACH CLAUDE CHABROL MIKE LEIGH KEN LOACH CLAUDE CHABROL MIKE LEIGH KEN LOACH Oh Ok Bunuel then
HASSELBAINK007

Postby catthan » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:34 am

why no mention of Zefferelli
catthan

Postby Taxidr5091 » Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:14 am

I really think that Andrei Tarkovsky is the greatest! But besides him there are:
Fellini
Bunuel
Bergman
Taxidr5091

Postby Taxidr5091 » Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:17 am

I really think that Andrei Tarkovsky is the greatest! But besides him there are:
Fellini
Bunuel
Bergman
Scorsese
Neil Jordan
Mike Leigh
Lars Von Trier
Vittorio De Sica
Kurosowa
Truofaut
Godard
Kubrick
Errol Morris(Even though he does documentaries)
Woody Allen
Dreyer
Darren Aronofsky
I know that there are hundreds that I have foregotten
Taxidr5091

Postby Taxidr5091 » Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:29 am

I forgot to mention Nicholas Roeg mainly because I can't believe no one has really mentioned him. "Walkabout" was one the most gorgeous films! For that alone he should be considered. Also what about Coppola, I know that he's really awfull now, but "The Godfather" and "The Conversation" are masterworks. I guess I judge a director on a sole film than on an entire body of work. For instance David Gordon Green is a fantastic director, he made "George Washington" to prove it, yet he's not really considred great because he hasn't made as many films as Bunule or Kurosowa have. Just some food for thought.
Taxidr5091

Postby arosen1 » Wed May 01, 2002 12:56 am

Of course the great Pier Paolo Pasolini and Werner Herzog the mad poet! Honorable mentions to Elio Petri, Fellini, Visconti, Godard, Antonioni, Alain Tanner, Ken Russell, Franju etc...
arosen1

Postby arosen1 » Wed May 01, 2002 1:02 am

Of course the great Pier Paolo Pasolini and Werner Herzog the mad poet! Honorable mentions to Elio Petri, Fellini, Visconti, Godard, Antonioni, Alain Tanner, Ken Russell, Franju etc...
arosen1

Postby jasonrichardsmith » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:39 pm

Lets cut through the bull...we all knowthe best director ever was and always will be............
KUROSAWA!!!!!!!!!!
Ikiru
Rashomon
red beard
seven samurai
The Lower Depths (shiver!)
Ran
Dreams
Stray Dog (brrr!)

definitely the most important movies
jasonrichardsmith

PreviousNext