The beatiful Gong LI

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The beatiful Gong LI

Postby martinezducati » Mon Nov 13, 2000 10:49 am

I am a huge Gong Li fan. I have seen almost all her films and I love her work. She is not only a great actress but an extemely beatiful woman. I hope she continues to make great films. If you love movies, you need to see some of Gong Li's work. I would start with "To Live" or "Raise The Red Lantern". The list goes on and on. I am a soldier stationed in Bosnia and intend on seeing the rest of her films in my off time.
martinezducati

Re: The beatiful Gong LI

Postby cinemasmooch » Tue Nov 14, 2000 11:24 pm

Yes, Raise the Red Lantern - what a chilling look at how women have been and are treated in China. It's also a very good film in every other way and the kind that stays with you for a long time.
cinemasmooch

Postby jman » Wed Nov 15, 2000 1:38 am

Interesting tidbit... Gong had an open relationship with the man who made her famous, Chinese director Zhang Yimou. But they finally broke up when she realized he wasn't going to leave his wife anytime soon. She's been seen lately in quite a few good films by Chen Kaige, including THE EMPEROR AND THE ASSASSIN, which is now available on video.
jman

Postby katsuben » Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:09 am

What on earth? 'The Emperor and the Assassin' is abysmal. The widescreen composition is terrible. Almost every second shot is a frontal medium close-up. The story has no rhythm. Even the artifice reminds me of low budget Hong Kong. Chen Kaige seems to want to make epics these days but I'd prefer if he went back to the social ensemble structure of 'The Big Parade'. It seems to me Zhang Yimou is slipping as well. The Chinese Fifth Generation capitulated after 'To Live' in 1994.
katsuben

Postby tbungard » Tue Nov 21, 2000 4:24 pm

Can't agree about Yimou, FunkyDuck! Just saw his Not One Less and it is fabulous! His work is changing true, but I think it is growing and can't wait to see the two new films he has coming out next year, The Road Home and Happy Times!
tbungard

Postby genghizkhan66 » Fri Jun 08, 2001 3:07 pm

Hello everyone and greetings ,
Let me apologize if there are any mistake in my english since it is not my first language.
But I'll do my best to make my self clear :))

I have seen the "Road Home" and it was really good.
They have realeased the DVD from a Hong Kong company and catch t if you can. I don't really know how western viewers will react to it, but from reviews found all over the net...the response have been great.
Just an example there was a scene of a funeral march in a blizzard that literally made me cry because it actually reminded me of the funeral I attended for my grandparents and my parent in the past. My family are Bhuddist and thus ,the film for me, have so much meaning and rather powerful in its message deliverance that it literally kicked me where it hurt most.
Perhaps a western audience will be interested or curious with the depiction of Bhuddist funeral ceremony, but the scene and the message will not pack a wallop.

"Not one less" is excellent. "Shanghai Triad" is very very different from his previous work. But still good.
I am still waiting anxiously for "Keep Cool" - a modern drama and "Devil at The Doorstep"by Jian Wen.- a period piece, my favourite.
By the way...I think Jian Wen is one hot actor.

I dont think the Chinese directors have hot really lost their touch. Theey just change method/style.
For us Asian followers of Chinese (China) cinema, the directors basically tells different stories and different subject ( eventhough most of the subject kicks us in the butt)
And perhaps the style, cinematography and the subject differs but their messages are the very trademark of each individual director.
Yimou has his own, so is Kaige then you have Xie Fei (probably my favourite) but not as famous,...

Xie Fei is famous for making movies based on the people of different etnicity of Asia . Girl from Hunan, A Mongolian tale, Song of Tibet , Women from the lake of scented souls.
He Ping is another director in the ethnic realm.(The horse thief). They are both great .

But I can understand that most time , viewers tend to attach a particular director with a particular style. And when the director change his method, we become more critical. Yes, I do that too sometimes. :))
Same thing with recording artist.

Some news on Gong li,
After leaving Yimou, she is now dating a Singaporean businessman. But Yimou is coming up with a new movie epic in 2002 and these time, it seems that the 2 of them came to an understanding and Gong Li will most probably be acting in it.

Best wishes and regards

"By the thundering roar of 20 000 horses, with the swing of my giant sword and the screams of my barbarian warriors.."
I bid you farewell

****Man, I love my ancestors, I love period epics....;)
Genghizkhan66
genghizkhan66

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:15 pm

I've also greatly admired the beautiful Gong Li.Red Sorghum,Raise the Red Lantern superb,To Live also fine,but i do think Zhang Yimou has lost his way (more than)a little since their split.I was never a fan of Chen Kaige-Farewell my Concubine was overrated,and in fact Zhang Yimou must take much of the credit for the seminal Yellow Earth,as the cinematographer.But Gong Li brought such elegance,poise and authority to her roles;the films would certainly have suffered without her.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:35 pm

Very interested by Genghizkhan's comments on Xie Fei(with whose work i must admit i'm unfamiliar)and i'm intrigued by Women from the Lake of Scented Souls,certainly a poetic title.It won at Berlin,and it's well covered in a useful book on Chinese cinema,"China into Film",by Jerome Silbergeld,but it's not been available here,and i'd like to know what others think of it.There are still too few Chinese films available in Britain,and i presume most other English-speaking countries.I'd love to see more of the earlier Chinese classics,e.g,Street Angel,Crows and Sparrows,The Goddess,Spring in a Small Town,The Spring River Flows East,Little Toys etc.Anyone seen them?
john-5

Postby ksparent » Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:02 pm

Yimou's strongest work was those that centered around Gong Li. After she stopped being the focal point, I thought his work slipped a lot. I am very happy to see an upswing in his career, with "The Road Home" and "Not One Less" though. THe smaller focus serves him well.

Does anyone have any info about the 2002 movie with him and Gong Li mentioned above? Title, release, confirmation, etc?
ksparent

Postby asia_bebe » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:14 pm

SHE is a GREAT ACTRESS TOO !
asia_bebe

Next

Return to Film Talk