Seven Samurai

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Seven Samurai

Postby kinkster » Thu Jun 08, 2000 3:55 pm

Arguably Kurosawa's best - certainly on the top of *my* list.

Re: Seven Samurai

Postby dan-2 » Sat Jun 10, 2000 11:16 pm

Kurosawa's best "inarguably" for me (and Donald Richie). All of his obsessions and talents converge in this movie, which I've seen maybe 20 times (and loved each and every time). I even show it occasionally to people who aren't into foreign films at all - and they are inevitably impressed by it.

Postby CClaudel » Mon Aug 21, 2000 4:07 am

On my top ten list. Powerful.

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:22 am

Your shameless trumpeting of Seven Samurai amuses me. Now I am not one of those inhuman monsters who will bash the film. It is excellent and one of his best, but it isn't his very best. For my money his best film would be the much later Ran. I may be completely alone in this opinion, and yes Mr. Richie makes a very good point, as he also does for Rashomon, Ikiru, and Throne of Blood among others.

Postby patsfan86 » Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:57 pm

Seven Samurai has it all; high drama, romance, action, character development, and a great plot all leading to a truly classic crescendo. Seven Samurai is ten times the film Ran is; just my opinion.

Postby Bacchus33 » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:22 pm

I don't like Seven Samurai and I'm not that keen on Kurosawa's other films either. I think that this is one case of the man being more interesting than his work.

Postby infobs » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:44 am

7 Samurai is drinkable, like a bad cognac, it has too much of everything but none of what makes a great moment.

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:42 pm

I fancy Ikiru,Ran,Throne of Blood ,High & Low above Seven Samurai tho i still love it!he was a great director no doubt.i wonder how many modern film makers could make a film as excellent as RAN in their old age? few if any i say.

Return to Lists and Recommendations