Best Godard Film

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Godard Film

Postby setsuko » Wed Aug 16, 2000 12:49 am

Unfortunately,I haven't seen "Les Carbinieurs".
I heard it's important film.
Recently,I saw"Histoire(s) du Cinema".
JLG said Cinema history began by Manet.
For me ( major Modern Art History) ,it's full of suggestion.
setsuko

Postby Garrett Anderson » Thu Aug 31, 2000 4:38 pm

Weekend is my favorite. It made me feel good after a particularly rough break up.
Garrett Anderson

Postby solent » Tue Sep 05, 2000 10:31 pm

I find this to be a difficult choice. I consider all the 1959-67 films to be parts of a whole, so to speak. The best place for anyone to start is with A BOUT SOUFFLE. The posts to this list seem to be subjective so I will be personal and plug DUEX OU TROIS CHOSES [TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER] as the one Godard film that encompasses all his thoughts and theories. The film still embraces the remnants of a narrative structure, it utilises Godard's favourite metaphor: prostitution and it points the way to socio-political-philosophical theorising . Above all of this, the film still remains a film about film. Actors act and discuss the reality of life and films. This film itself is seen as a product of this same reality. Easily found on video: get it!
solent

Postby Dizzy_Bird » Thu Nov 02, 2000 7:06 am

Band Of Outsiders!!!
Dizzy_Bird

Postby nitin jagdish » Tue Nov 07, 2000 3:16 pm

weekend had me in tears, it was so funny.
my life to live had me in tears, it was so moving.
king lear had me in tears, it was so boring.
forever mozart had me in tears, it was so criminally ignored.
nitin jagdish

Postby katsuben » Sat Nov 11, 2000 12:00 am

i'm surprised 'Vivre sa vie' isn't a major favourite
katsuben

Postby heather » Tue Nov 21, 2000 4:51 pm

*Vivre Sa Vie* -- *My Life to Live*, but *A Woman is a Woman* follows close behind.
heather

Postby Tulse Luper » Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:15 am

Weekend. Unquestionably.
Tulse Luper

Postby IngysDayOff » Thu Nov 30, 2000 12:20 am

I have only seen a few Godard films, but he is perhaps the best. My favorites include "Weekend" (perhaps the best film I've seen) and "Pierrot Le Fou." I also loved "Alphaville", a film which remains my favorite foreign Sci-Fi film. I have been unable to find most of his work, sadly, it seems you must buy them first, and with a short budget, you're pretty much screwed. Come on, television...AIR HIS FILMS!
IngysDayOff

Postby solent » Wed Dec 27, 2000 12:05 am

Just out of interest: did you see BAND A PART on video or cinema or both? If on video: was it a clear print or was it a dub off of a 60s print [many cuts, bad contrast, difficult subs, etc]? This is one of my fave films too. It captures many Godardian themes and also has a good sense of historical reality throughout.
solent

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations