Favourite film critics, writers

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Favourite film critics, writers

Postby LF_CELINE » Thu Sep 14, 2000 3:31 am

Ironically enough, most of my favorite wirters and critics became film-makers....Truffaut, Godard, Resnais, Bogdonavich. Scorcese has done some fascinating writings, and also did a wonderful documentary called "A Journey Through American Cinema", which should be required viewing for anybody claiming to be a film buff....or for anybody who doesn't understand the pull cinema has on us movie geeks.
LF_CELINE

Postby somegreatmovies » Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:34 am

no one has mentioned the greatest working regular film critic (meaning working for a newspaper or perodical): Armond White from NYPress (www.nypress.com) I don't think I've ever agreed with him, and from time to time, I really do think he might be mentaly unballanced... but he is a genuis.
somegreatmovies

Postby aguirre » Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:29 am

A great foreign film reference that I use quite a lot is "VideoHound's World Cinema" by Elliot Wilhelm. For those of you that don't like VideoHound guides, don't worry, it doesn't give "bone ratings". Wilhelm, who is Film Curator for the Detroit Institute of Arts seems to to know his stuff concerning classic and contemporary foreign films. The book is truly international in scope, covering some English language films from Great Britain, Canada, and Australia as well. There are a few reviews I disagreed with, most notably a mediocre review for Solaris and a glowing review for The Sacrifice (personally I'd offer the reverse). Anyway, it's very handy, and I enjoy reading reviews of films I've already seen. Does anyone else happen to know of any other up-to-date collections of foreign film reviews? Thanks.
aguirre

Postby john-5 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:46 pm

From Britain,Geoff Andrew,Gilbert Adair.Also David Thomson,who now lives in America.And Derek Malcolm.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:58 pm

To continue; i agree that Ellot Wilhelm's Videohound's World Cinema is excellent,not at all pretentious.For general reading on World Cinema i'd also recommend:The Oxford History of World Cinema(edited by Geoffrey Nowell-Smith)-this is the best overview i'd say.Time Out Film Guide,Radio Times Film Guide have good coverage of international films.Bloomsbury Foreign Film Guide was excellent,still very useful,but last published in '92, i think.i admire David Cook's A History of Narrative Film,Derek Malcolm's A Century of Films,David Thomson's A biographical Dictionary of Film,Geoff Andrew's Film Handbook, and Drectors A-Z.I love Gilbert Adair's "Flickers".The Cinema Book,edited by Pam Cook& Mike Bernink is highly rated,with good coverage of theory.I admire Mark le Fanu's biography of Tarkovsky.The book which opened up a whole new world for me-if only i could relive the excitement of starting the journey of discovery afresh!-was John Kobal's Top 100 Movies, with a poll of international critics.When it came out in the 80's, i'd not heard of many of the entries,set out to see as many as possible,resulting in hopeless addiction.
The British magazine,Sight and Sound,which will be doing its usual once-a-decade poll this year,is the best here, comfortably.MovieMail is a World Cinema Video company,which has interesting Newsletter and Catalogue Articles,written by several prominent critics,(and some by myself,though my efforts are strictly amateurish,more a demonstration of buffery than insight or literary expertise)...
john-5

Postby john-5 » Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:52 pm

Sorry to clog up the site at present-i've not been too well,am recuperating at home,find this process strangely calming-i really meant enthusiasm not buffery on my part:i wouldn't want to be thought an "anorak"(obsessed as i am with Cinema,there's more to life!) or claim any great epertise.The MovieMail articles and selections are naturally designed to promote interest in certain films and directors,rather than provide meaningful critique,but i like the Company's democracy,in having writings from amateurs and customers like myself mix with more famous names of the critical establishment.
john-5

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:48 am

Yes, Jonathan Rosenbaum is the best critic around right now, he writes like Andre Bazin with the sensibility of Pauline Kael.

Greatest film critics/writers alive & dead:

Andre Bazin
James Agee
Pauline Kael
Stanley Kauffmann
Jonathan Rosenbaum
Roger Ebert
Elvis Mitchell & A.O. Scott
Andrew Sarris
David Sterritt
J. Hoberman
Amy Taubin
Kenneth Turan
Anthony Lane

bigpoppa_2059

Postby Gaz » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:41 am

The late Pauline Kael, though you may disagree with her (and I frequently do), is probably the greatest.

Personal favourites: Dilys Powell, Philip French and Derek Winnert.
Gaz

Postby eman » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:04 pm

and the greatest of all is Pauline Kael.
eman

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations