pasolini's best

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

pasolini's best

Postby solent » Wed Sep 06, 2000 9:37 pm

Would you pick from the early films with their neo-realist depictions of the lower depths? The literary adaptations from the classics? Personally, I would plug TEOREMA as his sublime contemporary masterpiece.
solent

Re: pasolini's best

Postby katsuben » Mon Sep 11, 2000 12:24 pm

'Teorema' and 'The Gospel According to St Matthew' but tell me more about 'Porcile' please.
katsuben

Postby LF_CELINE » Tue Sep 12, 2000 5:52 pm

I'd say "Salo"....it's one of the few films to EVER leave a deep impression (or is that "mental scar"?) on me ("Happiness" and "In The Company Of Men" are the other two). Yeah, "Porcile", "Gospel" and "Teorema" are all great...not too much into the trilogy, but "Salo" is so powerful and unforgiving that there's no way I could ever say any of his other ones are better...then again, that's just me...
LF_CELINE

Postby solent » Wed Sep 13, 2000 9:31 pm

PORCILE is two stories intercut into one. Not Pasolini's best film. One story is set in the middle ages and concerns a band of renegade cannibals/thieves who are anathama to the Catholic populace. [The head of the band is the actor with the walking stick from Bunuel's BELLE DE JOUR.]
The other story concerns a rich German family and its supposedly hidden Nazi past. The son of the family - played by Jean Pierre Leaud - has strange habits involving pigs [don't get excited, you won't see anything risque].
Not a very cohesive film. The first story mentioned was to be titled ORGIA.
solent

Postby Mr. West » Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:24 am

Hey, a Pasolini thread!

I'd say 'Salo' is his most affecting (although it gets pretty revolting at times). 'Teorema' is probably my favorite though. I'll have to watch 'Gospel According to St. Matthew' again, but I remember thinking it was rather dry. 'Accatone' was good, but I could barely read the wretched subtitles! That one is in dire need of a new digital version.

Is 'Hawks and Sparrows' any good? My local university has a copy of it, so I'll probably make a visit to their media center soon to watch it.
Mr. West

Postby john-5 » Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:56 pm

The Gospel according to St Matthew his one masterpiece,Oedipus Rex,Medea and Arabian Nights visually interesting,Theorem above average,Accattone rather overrated,Salo (loathed by many,and hardly likeable)one of his stronger efforts, i thought,Hawks and Sparrows worse than irritating,Canterbury Tales,The Decameron and Mamma Roma amateurish and feeble.Porcile i've not seen,am in no hurry.Sorry to Pasolini fans,but i must have a blind spot!.
john-5

Postby Mr. West » Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:29 pm

Actually, I thought 'Arabian Nights' was pretty dire; consequently I've been hesitant to look at 'Canterbury Tales' or 'Decameron.' Maybe I'll catch them some day, though (I have yet to see 'Medea' or 'Oedipus' as well).
Mr. West

Postby john-5 » Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:24 pm

Yes,i would certainly agree that Arabian Nights is flawed,but it is the best of a disappointing trilogy,and at least has some striking locations,as do several of his films(the saving grace for some).Pasolini films come as a mixed bag;i'd only recommend the one unequivocally,several are indeed "dire",as you found Arabian Nights.He's not for all tastes,that's for sure!
john-5

Postby Ockien » Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:03 am

Couls someone recommend me a good non trilogy Pasolini film and not Salo thank you very much.
Ockien

Postby Mr. West » Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:27 pm

Most of us seem to agree on 'Teorema' and 'Gospel According to St. Matthew.' I'd start with 'Teorema' personally. 'Gospel' is good but I found it kind of "dry." You have to be in an extremely pensive mood to enjoy 'Gospel,' too.
Mr. West

Return to Lists and Recommendations