Has anyone seen Run Lola Run?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Has anyone seen Run Lola Run?

Postby lloyd.krasuski » Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:50 am

Hi, I'm a film-translation student and I'd like to ask anyone who has seen Run Lola Run on VHS, DVD or cable/satelite to tell me what they think of the translations.
What do you think of the English subtitles? Were they good? Were they terrible? Why?
What do you think of the English dubbed version? Good? Bad? Why?
lloyd.krasuski

Re: Has anyone seen Run Lola Run?

Postby kaldirimix » Sun May 13, 2001 2:37 pm

Hi.Have you any seen any Turkish film?I'll be happy if you answer?
kaldirimix

Postby kaldirimix » Sun May 13, 2001 4:50 pm

Has anyone see Michael Winterbottom's films?
kaldirimix

Postby cinemasmooch » Sun May 13, 2001 7:48 pm

I saw Winterbottom's The Claim afew days ago and loved it. But then I'm partial to stories of the westward migration of the 1800's. It was beautifully filmed during the winter in Canada and Colorado, with the setting being the Sierra Nevada of the goldrush era. And, it's based on Thomas Hardy's, The Mayor of Casterbridge.
cinemasmooch

Postby ishdish2 » Mon May 14, 2001 10:28 pm

YES!!!it was superb i loveed the concept of this movie
ishdish2

Postby ranger » Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:35 am

Yes, I saw two versions of Run Lola Run. One had the usual subtitles, the other was dubbed. Boy, was the dubbed version bad. Fortunately, I saw the subtitled version first. I can do a little German, and could tell that the translations weren't exact (like the title "Lola Rennt"), but my overall impression of the translation was that it was excellent. It really fit the mood of the film.
By the way, I really, really liked RLR. I bought the tape.

Ranger
ranger

Postby ranger » Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:43 am

Oops, I see too late you wanted to know why the dubbed version was bad.

Maybe since I had heard the actors real voices, I knew how little the dubbers voices matched. But, I think the worst thing about the dubbing was the dubbing people couldn't act. It sounded like a bad high school play. Plus voice and music work together in so many parts of the movie (screams etc.) that the dubbing stood out shaving cream on a wedding car.

Ranger
ranger

Postby itwasashark » Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:45 pm

I always try to steer away from the dubbed movies because they seem to detract from the natural feeling being portrayed, in my opinion. But I accidently rented the dubbed version of Run Lola Run. At first I was upset but with the fast-paced action and artsy style I soon forgot about it and enjoyed it, thoroughly. I would still have rather seen the subtitled version but, nevertheless, this is a mostly a visually entertaining movie.
itwasashark

Postby antigone » Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:22 pm

i thought the subtitles weren't great at the best of times, i know a little german and i could clearly see some of it wasn't quite right.
antigone

Postby john-5 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:09 pm

i hate dubbed films.Run,Lola Run was extremely entertaining/heart-pounding, has been seen by many website users,according to the top 100 poll,where it was just in the 100 when i last looked.
Answering the question on Turkish films;Yol is certainly the best of the few Turkish films i've seen.I understand Hope,by the same director Guney,is also excellent.
john-5

Next

Return to Film Talk