Good remake and bad remake of foreign films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Good remake and bad remake of foreign films

Postby 4seam » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:05 am

First (of course) bad ones, American version of dreadful "Breathless", "12 monkeys" (original-"La Jetee"), "Sorcerer" (Wage of fear) and maybe more when I come up with them. I can't think of impressive remakes but I give a credit to some spaghetti westerns with Eastwood (some were based on Kurosawa films).
Does anyone waste time on watching bad remakes?
4seam

Re: Good remake and bad remake of foreign films

Postby cinemasmooch » Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:10 pm

There was the original French film, "The Return of Martin Guerre" starring Gerard Depardieu. Then came the American remake, "Sommersby" starring Richard Gere. I preferred the American version because it was changed so that the lead characted was given the choice of weather or not to die at the end of the movie.
cinemasmooch

Postby 4seam » Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:16 am

I found some more good remakes even though they were not made in Hollywood; Bunuel's "Diary of Chambermaid" was more interesting than Renoir's same title. Though this original (or should I say first) one was not a foreign film, again I prefered Bunuel's Spanish speaking "Wuthering Heights" than Wyler's classic. The film looked more crude and sadistic (what do you expect?) but I think it carried novel's spirit better.
Also I saw a Hungarian version of "The postman always rings twice" a few years ago. Beautifully photographed in black and white. Unfortunately I don't remember who made it ( it looked similar but it wasn't Bela Tarr).
4seam

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:50 am

"The Vanishing" is the obvious example, the original masterpiece than the shitty remake with Jeff Bridges. What's even more outrageous is they both had the same director! (George Sluzier). Also, the remake og Clouzot's brilliant "Diabolique" turned into a lesbian fest with Sharon Stone, Chazz Palminteri, and lots of heartless producers on the sides with deep pockets.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby paredes » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:39 pm

Did anyone else find it odd that Lina Wertmuller's "Swept Away" was always thought of as an okay entry in her filmography, and then suddenly when Madonna remade it they were hailing the original as a "Masterpiece! Classic!" Madonna's version wasn't as good as the original, but it wasn't as bad as everyone said either because although it wasn't as socially significant, it wasn't remaking such a great film in the first place.
paredes

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:01 pm

The commentary track for "Swept Away" is hilarious. Guy Ritchie is proud of the fact that he forgets the year and the director of the original film! He is completely ignorant of the fact that one should only remake obscure old films if they have enough content or interest that they can be interpreted for our times effectively. Why remake Wertmuller's most popular film?
bigpoppa_2059

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:00 am

probably because ritchie is a dickhead!the sooner he disappears the better this little black duck will feel!
gratefultiger

Postby bmxsuperhero » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:45 pm

Adrian Lyne's most recent remake of Claude Chabrol's La Femme Infidèle ("Unfaithful") was a surprisingly good film, a mature exploration of sexuality from Hollywood. A far cry from some of his subpar earlier films, like 9 1/2 Weeks and his horrendous Lolita (I wouldn't qualify it as a remake of Kubrick's... just as I wouldn't qualify Soderbergh's Solaris as a remake of Tarkovsky's). The American And God Created Woman was horrible. As was Vanilla Sky. I wish I could remember the film, but I read that Tom Cruise's production company is in the process of buying another foreign film just released to remake it.
bmxsuperhero

Postby somegreatmovies » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:19 pm

I think Sorcerer is a better films than Wages of Fear... just my opinion.
somegreatmovies

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:51 pm

i cannot agree on that one champ!as wages of fear really got into the "feel"of the characters when you see vanel,as the tough guy turn to water when the heat is on it is priceless, as i have seen that so many times in my(former) life on the edge,a much better study of the human condition than sorcerer,which was very good.

ps i met bill friedkin at a screening of sorcerer in melbourne (oz) nice guy,he told me "wages of fear" was a masterpiece,but i already knew that,nice to hear him say it just the same
gratefultiger

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations