Good remake and bad remake of foreign films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Good remake and bad remake of foreign films

Postby bmxsuperhero » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:00 am

Have there been many foreign remakes of Hollywood (or American) films? If so, I'm sure not many have made it to the US, because I am drawing a blank.
bmxsuperhero

Postby chris » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:45 pm

One that comes to mind is the remake of "Wings of Desire".I cant remember the name at the moment but it starred Nicolas Cage at his sappy worst.Remember the rule with Cage is every 10th movie or so is worth watching i.e."Birdy" "Leaving Las Vegas" "Adaptation".
chris

Postby HekateMistress » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:22 am

City of Angels was the name. Atrocious. You forgot to list Raising Arizona under Nicolas Cage's better films.
HekateMistress

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu May 15, 2003 5:15 am

Back when the Coen brothers were fun...
bigpoppa_2059

Postby gnixon29 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:32 pm

Good Remake: Vanilla Sky

Bad Remakes: Breathless, Insomnia
gnixon29

Postby darkbluex » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:18 am

Speaking of Guy Richie's remake of Swept Away, the original done by Lina Wertmuller, that's movie is also a remake of Male/Female by Cecil B. DeMille staring Gloria Swanson.

Oh yes Tom Cruise's company bought the rights to "The Eye" a Chinese Horror by Thai directors Danny and Oxide Pang. The film about a woman who's blind all her life and get's cornea transplant and "can see dead people". A buddy from Thailand said that it really happened but in real life the woman killed herself.

Let's home the American remake doesn't get too cheesy and star Britney Murphy or someone like that. I was impressed with The Ring it did hold up to Ringu though the Japanese version was a lot creepier.
darkbluex

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:01 am

bad hollywood remakes--the ring, vanilla sky, city of angels.

Good remakes--i just don't know of any.
smurfrevolt

Postby thegreatken1 » Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:18 pm

Good remake: "The Magnificent Seven"

Bad remakes: "Swept Away", "Three Men and a Baby", "Father's Day" (original: Veber's "Les Comperes"), "Pure Luck" (Veber's "La Chevre"), "Point of No Return", "The Associate", "My Father, The Hero" (Gérard Dépardieu is wasted here), "The Man with One Red Shoe" (Tom Hanks is no Pierre Richard)
thegreatken1

Postby jonwash2000 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:05 pm

Good Remake (but not better than the original) Beijing Bicycle (Original Bicylce Thief)
jonwash2000

Postby gnixon29 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:37 am

Horrible: Breathless, Swept Away, The Vanishing, Insomnia
Surprisingly good: Vanilla Sky, The Ring

Looking forward (maybe) to Deniro & Del Toro in the upcoming Kaosu remake.
gnixon29

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations