Most visually astounding?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Most visually astounding?

Postby alan.bissett » Mon May 14, 2001 4:09 pm

Just saw Bertolucci's "The Conformist" again the other night. If a more visually stunning piece of cinema has been made I'd love to hear about it. Any suggestions?
alan.bissett

Re: Most visually astounding?

Postby firetree65 » Mon May 14, 2001 5:50 pm

I can't think of a film as visually dazzling as "The Conformist" - probably the most mesmerizing piece of work in cinema but then here's a few that might work: Polanski's "The Tenant", Visconti's "The Damned", the opening sequence of Fellini's "And The Ship Sails On" and Bertolucci's "The Spider's Strategem". Oh yeah, what about Copolla's "One From The Heart"?
firetree65

Postby cola » Wed May 16, 2001 4:55 pm

Parajanov's masterpieces (SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS and THE COLOR OF POMEGRANATES) are the only films that continue to visually astound me on the nth viewing. There are others that are impressive, certainly, but Parajanov remains the quintessential genius of color and form manipulation.
cola

Postby maxdname-1 » Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:11 pm

Visually - the best are:
"Ran" - the burning castle during the war scene was maybe best ever
"Burnt by the Sun" - beautiful landscapes
"Que Viva Mexico" - too bad Eisenstein died before it was done
"Ivan the Terrible" - wow
"Othello" - By Orson Welles the first 5 minutes are the best black and white footage since sound
maxdname-1

Postby katsuben » Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:48 am

are you on drugs? :)

okay, in what way are we judging visual brilliance here? is this an holistic argument? or are we going to reduce "visual" to some kind of componentry? max suggests a separation between b&w and colour, this would seem necessary.

camera movement, in something like I AM CUBA, seems to be a visually intosicating/seductive apparatus, but flashiness in any respect CAN just be stylish with no form (vis a vis, MOULIN ROUGE or something similar - more with cutting, but the hyperkinaesthetics of "flashiness" entail more than one technique. . .)

so - i'm going to sway precisely the other way, for now, and suggest some of the most "visually stunning" films include the connected-to-strings techniques of Feuillade, Sjostrom's double exposures, Eisenstein's updside-down horse (not the one on the bridge) in OCTOBER, Ozu's low angles and rigid line, Carax's montage, Jancso's tracking shots, Hou Hsiao-hsien's ellipsises, Chris Doyle's variant light temperatures, and of course Toland's pan-focus.

It's time to get specific.
katsuben

Postby jwcox » Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:11 pm

"Dreams" Kurosawa
jwcox

Postby Darek P. » Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:20 am

Red Psalm - Miklós Jancsó - Hungary
Darek P.

Postby Darek P. » Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:21 am

Red Psalm - Miklós Jancsó - Hungary
Darek P.

Postby john-5 » Wed Dec 26, 2001 3:38 pm

The Conformist certainly has a brilliant cinematographer,Storaro-his work on The Sheltering Sky( an admittedly flawed film, but those nocturnal camel caravans and dunes!)and Apocalypse Now is also superb.
Other films which come to mind for their visuals;The Colour of Pomegranates(British spelling!)-"Cola" is right to praise it so highly. 2001:A Space Odyssey, Kwaidan (gorgeous colour and sets),Mirror(Tarkovsky),Sunrise.Several Mizoguchi films are absolutely beautiful;Sansho the Bailiff,Ugetsu Monogatari,The Life of Oharu,Tales of the Taira Clan(for its colour)... Some Visconti films are extremely sumptuous.I found Maborosi(Hirokazu Kore-eda)and Ozu's Tokyo Story also wonderful in a much subtler way.Claire's Knee is lovely,helped by the scenery.Of British films,Powell/Pressbuger's are probably the most impressive visually(The Red Shoes ballet the highlight).Vertigo,The Searchers,and some of the sequences in Singin in the Rain and The Band Wagon are memorable, as are some of Ophuls' masterpieces:Madame De, Letter from an Unknown Woman etc.Oh, and The Night of the Hunter (how did the A.F.I.100 leave it out?)
john-5

Postby john-5 » Wed Dec 26, 2001 3:38 pm

The Conformist certainly has a brilliant cinematographer,Storaro-his work on The Sheltering Sky( an admittedly flawed film, but those nocturnal camel caravans and dunes!)and Apocalypse Now is also superb.
Other films which come to mind for their visuals;The Colour of Pomegranates(British spelling!)-"Cola" is right to praise it so highly. 2001:A Space Odyssey, Kwaidan (gorgeous colour and sets),Mirror(Tarkovsky),Sunrise.Several Mizoguchi films are absolutely beautiful;Sansho the Bailiff,Ugetsu Monogatari,The Life of Oharu,Tales of the Taira Clan(for its colour)... Some Visconti films are extremely sumptuous.I found Maborosi(Hirokazu Kore-eda)and Ozu's Tokyo Story also wonderful in a much subtler way.Claire's Knee is lovely,helped by the scenery.Of British films,Powell/Pressbuger's are probably the most impressive visually(The Red Shoes ballet the highlight).Vertigo,The Searchers,and some of the sequences in Singin in the Rain and The Band Wagon are memorable, as are some of Ophuls' masterpieces:Madame De, Letter from an Unknown Woman etc.Oh, and The Night of the Hunter (how did the A.F.I.100 leave it out?)
john-5

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations