Most visually astounding?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most visually astounding?

Postby mandron » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:29 pm

Woody Allen's Stardust Memories and Manhattan are both visually stunning
mandron

Postby mandron » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:29 pm

Woody Allen's Stardust Memories and Manhattan are both visually stunning

[link]www.webnautinc.com[/link]
mandron

Postby nomad_warmachine » Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:02 pm

I like Ran and The Emperor and the Assassin.
nomad_warmachine

Postby gimferrer » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:19 pm

oh yes Kaguemusha and Ran are stunning...and I still haven't see The Conformist because is not released on DVD as far as I know dammit!
gimferrer

Postby Gaz » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:07 pm

Visconti definitely. Also Herzog's Aguirre, Der Zorn Gottes and of course Andrei Rublev.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:37 pm

cola is right! how can you go past the parajanov films i have seen "SAYAT NOVA" & SHADOWS OF OUR FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS"
more times than i know and never get sick of them,PARAJANOV
was a genius!beautiful cinema.
gratefultiger

Postby FRITZ3464 » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:33 am

I REALLY appreciated the look of THE CRANES ARE FLYING on the Criterion DVD. Rich black and white, beautiful compositions AND dazzling camera-moves to boot. Any frame of this film would make a great poster.
FRITZ3464

Postby patsfan86 » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:15 am

I really enjoyed The Cranes are Flying as well. The one film that has always stayed with me from a visual standpoint has been Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala. I've never been able to pinpoint any particular aspect of it, but the film visually as a whole just seems to work perfectly.
patsfan86

Postby admin-2 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:23 pm

Ten most visually stunning (in order):

1/ CITIZEN KANE (One of the great "special effects" films of all time...hundreds of process shots in aid of a "realistic" story...stunning!)
2/ RULES OF THE GAME (Renoir's fluid, moving camerawork and the choreographed movement of the actors is unsurpassed. It's like a ballet without the ballet)
3/ BLACK NARCISSUS (A film set in the Himalayas that was shot entirely in the studio. Also the most stunning use of flashbacks ever attempted)
4/ THE CONFORMIST (Not a film I particularly like, but the perfect melding of both style and substance).
5/ THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER (Greenaway and cinematographer Sacha Vierny seduce and repel often within the same scene...Audacious)
6/ MCCABE AND MRS. MILLER (Zsigmond's "flashed" neagtive and Altman's propensity to zoom the camera to reveal a characters inner truth, makes this the most beautiful American film of the '70's)
7/ BELLE DU JOUR (Buñuel's first film is also his most visually stunning thanks to Sacha Vierny's camera and Catherine Deneuve's face)
8/ GERTRUD (Dreyer does what no other director is capable of doing. He turns that camera on and lets the actors "act". No camera moves. No cuts. Just pure, unadulterated emotion).
9/ MY DINNER WITH ANDRE (One of the most action packed films I have ever seen. Louis Malle keep his camera close to the faces of Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn and lets them talk. The result is that WE are forced visualise the stories that Gregory tells us. A case of "Virtual Reality" made prior to the coining of the term)
10/ THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (A film in which the camera is so important that the Criterion Collection actually included a card in the laserdisc version that told you how to adjust your television so that you can see the film properly)
admin-2

Postby admin-2 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:27 pm

Sorry:

I meant to say Buñuel's first colour film (BELLE...)
admin-2

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations