Most visually astounding?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most visually astounding?

Postby ygie » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:31 pm

No one has mentioned "Flowers of Shanghi"
Absolute beauty.

Postby ygie » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:16 pm

OOP'S Some one did mention Hou Hsiao-Hsien.
And of course anything from Wong Kar-Wai.
You will never listen to "California Dreaming" the same.

Postby clerk » Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:28 am

The washed out sepia of "The Element of Crime".

Postby katsuben » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:33 pm

Any shot containing clouds, water, or trees in a Miyazaki film!

Postby Arletty » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:18 am

The Conformist is my top movie of all time. I am so glad to come across people who realise its worth. I think visually Peter Greenaway gets it right - not so much his plots/themes/dialogue - Prospero's Books & The Draughtsman's Contract impressed me.

Postby winstonwes » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:23 am

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on this site yet. Has anyone seen it? What do you think?

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:36 pm

requiem for a dream is a classic great choice!

Postby H20gateburgler » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:31 pm

I would have to agree with Manhattan and Stardust Memories but those are American, No?

I AM CUBA has to be the most visually stunning import film I have ever seen. the camera work is nothing like you have ever seen. I had heard this about a million times before I saw it and even with all the build up I was still STUNNED.

Also try the oil rig explosion in SIBERIADE.

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:25 am

I agree, I Am Cuba is downright breathtaking at times.

Postby Orehovo » Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:59 pm

had to mention this movie:
Pred Dozdot (Before the Rain) is a stunning masterpiece from Macedonian Writer/Director Milcho Manchevski. Winner of 1994  Venice Film Festival, Golden Lion. It is a collaboration between French, English and Macedonian actors.
I stole this bit as I think it is a perfect brief summary:
A timely film about the troubled balkan region, specifically Macedonia, told from three different perspectives. It jumps about chronologically so you must pay attention, but a very stirring portrayal of how life in Macedonia deteriorated when a man returns to the village of his youth."
If you want to see a film that is the least unpredictable and want to witness the beautiful and distinct landscape of this country and their people, this film is a gem. It will satisfy even the toughest critic.
It's the only Macedonian movie that has had such a huge recognition (EVER), and I'd love to hear what other people (that have seen it) think.

Not many people have heard of it, weird for a film that has won an award in Venice.

Return to Lists and Recommendations