Most visually astounding?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most visually astounding?

Postby Orehovo » Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:03 pm

Oops, almost forgot -

Requiem for a Dream was a stunning movie with a great performance by Jared Leto, and his mother was brilliant (I forget her name).

It was a very realistic and thus disturbing movie. I did enjoy it, but not really my type. The effects were great!
Orehovo

Postby Orehovo » Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:20 pm

Oops, almost forgot -

Requiem for a Dream was a stunning movie with a great performance by Jared Leto, and his mother was brilliant (I forget her name).

It was a very realistic and thus disturbing movie. I did enjoy it, but not really my type. The effects were great!

My other fave film (besides "Pred Dozdot") is the 1996 released "BASQUIAT". I did a recent audio/visual bio on him (Jean-Michel Basquiat - most famous Black American painter worldwide in 80's), and researched him quite a bit. That film is just amazing. It is the most moving and inspiring film based on a real-life character, a real work of art. Has anyone seen it?

The soundtrack is as equally great; Tom Waits, Joy Division, Pogues, THEM feat. Van Morrison .......

The cast includes: David Bowie, Denis Hopper, Gary Oldman, Micheal Wilcott, Benicio Del Toro, Clare Forlani, and Jeffrey Wright plays an amazing Basquiat.
Orehovo

Postby jpaddock5 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:52 pm

Finally got around this weekend to seeing a movie i had been planning to for some time, and it definitely could snatch a place on this list. Malick's Days of Heaven, shot by Almendros, is one of the most visually hypnotic pieces of storytelling i've seen in a long time - few establishing shots, insanely gorgeous editing to create the rhythms of the pre-war midwest. next up is Badlands...
jpaddock5

Postby wpqx » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:34 am

Appealing topic, but I am a little surprised that no one mentioned 2001. Whether or not it is American is beside the point, it is the most visually stunning film ever made. For a foreign film though I may have to go with Landscape in the Mist, and anything by Tarkovsky.
wpqx

Postby pre-tender » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:04 am

well i didnt have much opportunity to see non-english flick but at a general aspect of visual masterpiece i may count :
"A clockwork orange"
"Requiem for a dream"
"Matrix"
"Saving private ryan"
"Pi"
"The man who wasnt there"
pre-tender

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:05 pm

Bela Tarr's "Satantango" blew me away on every level. See it if you can.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby tastlikeburning » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:04 pm

Hands down the most visually astounding film is Frida. I loved the bus accident scene with the blood and the gold dust. Come on now people you know I'm right.
tastlikeburning

Postby iron_goddess » Tue May 06, 2003 4:35 am

I found Yang Zimou's Hero breathtaking to watch. Chris Doyle shines in his interpretation of colors as templates for the film's various versions of the truth. The scene with Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi battling amid falling autumn leaves is visually arresting. The colors are so vibrant and the movement so fluid. It's like watching goddesses spar in an orange tainted heaven.
iron_goddess

Postby gratefultiger » Wed May 07, 2003 10:41 pm

chris doyle a self taught wizard i have an excellent doco on this hard working & drinking aussie, another down under legend,his work on ashes of time is astonishing!cheers
gratefultiger

Postby Zors » Sun May 11, 2003 12:35 am

Kurosawa's Dreams is visual eye candy. But even though Greenaway's The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover is really gross, it is a visual stunner as well. The Gaultier costumes and sets are fabulous. I also like Fellini's Juliet of The Spirits - the clothes and sets are just gorgeous, pure 60s. Kwaidan is also wonderful to look at in terms of rich colors and elegant settings. And my all time favorite, even though it's in black and white, is Les Enfants Du Paradise. Speaking of black and white, how about The Scarlett Empress (not sure if it's foreign) with Marlene Dietrich as Catherine the Great. But wait, I forgot Cocteau's Orpheus! A very elegant film.
Zors

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations