American films on the top 100 foreign film list

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

American films on the top 100 foreign film list

Postby ab_ashley » Thu Jan 04, 2001 9:35 pm

I really enjoy this website but I must comment that there are films on the top 100 list that have no business being on the a foreign film list.
Several Stanley Kubrick films appear on the list. Please explain how these can be called foreign films.
If these films are foreign films then you would have to open the doors to all the great British produced films. I though that a foreign film was defined as a film that is in language other than the English language. This website is in the English language so by the definition foreign, a foreign film should be films in a language other than our own. Here is the definition from the webster's dictionary for the word :for·eign
1 : situated outside a place or country; especially : situated outside one's own country
2 : born in, belonging to, or characteristic of some place or country other than the one under consideration
3 : related to or dealing with other nations

Am I crazy? Or do we have a bunch of people who don't know what a foreign film is .
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences would not consider the Kubrick films
as foreign films. And the American Film Institute has these films on there 100 greatest
American films list. Which was chosen by the 1500 of the top industry professionals.
So those idiots that think Dr Strangelove: , 2001: A Space Odyssey and, A Clockwork Orange are foreign films should point out the grave mistake that has been made by the AFI

I can't not deny that these films are great but please let's remove these films from the list of 100 best Foreign Films.
I welcome your comments and input on how we can get these films off the Foreign film list

Anthony Ashley
ab_ashley

Re: American films on the top 100 foreign film list

Postby Tony Block » Sat Jan 06, 2001 11:11 pm

Dr. Strangelove, Barry Lyndon & Clockwork Orange were all filmed in Britain. Trainspotting was filmed in Britain AND is in english & Michael Powell's Peeping Tom was in the Top 100 previously. So there are British produced films in the top 100. Moreover, Wim Wenders Paris, Texas is in English And was made in the USA. Antonioni's Blow-Up was filmed in English in Britain. Bertolucci's Last Tango in Paris & The Sheltering Sky are both in English. Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock was filmed in English. Luc Besson's LEON aka The Profesional is in English & filmed in the U.S.A.. Von trier's Breaking the Waves & Dancer in the Dark are in english. Finally, Roman Polanski's Chinatown is in English & was filmed in the U.S.A., so there are many films in this list that you would have thrown out, while I think they should remain because either their director was not American or they were filmed outside the U.S.A.
Tony Block

Postby cinemasmooch » Thu Jan 18, 2001 10:18 pm

I feel this website is about "quality" films, therefore, it crosses "borders".
cinemasmooch

Postby Dizzy_Bird » Fri Jan 19, 2001 6:34 am

I have to agree with Ashley on this one, when I first encountered this site I was very pleased to find a community who shared my love for international cinema, however upon surveying the top 100 list I also felt that certain films should not have been included in the discussion. Yes this site exists to celebrate great films, but there are a great films which for the purpose of limiting the scope of this site must be discluded. British films, in my opinion are as such, as are any films in which the main language spoken is English. Yes Strangelove and 2001 are excellent films, but they shouldn't be included on this site. If you are going to include foreign directors then that opens the door to a great many films which are in no way foreign; The Sixth Sense (directed by indian-born M. Night Shyamalan) or The Cell (also by indian-born tarsem singh) are just two recent examples. Roman Polanksi is a wonderful director but along with making great foreign films he also dabbles in American cinema, while Knife in the Water and Repulsion should be included, Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, and The Ninth Gate are hardly foreign, in fact they deal with very Amercian views and are filmed in American locations. I don't know, perhaps we are being too @#$! about all this, but there has to be some sort of line drawn somewhere, if you can include films like Chinatown and Dr. Strangelove, then why not consider some films by Alfred Hitchcock, or better yet take it even further and include America's greatest treasure Casablanca, afterall it was directed by Hungarian-born Michael Curtiz.
Dizzy_Bird

Postby tekez » Sun Feb 11, 2001 8:15 pm

I think the Brits mighht be slightly offended by the suggestion that 'Trainspotting', 'Clockwork Orange', 'Dr. Stangelove' etc are not Foreign movies to an American. The English Language is spoken in quite a few locations all across the globe...Just because a movie is in English does by no means make it American. Maybe we should call it 'Foreign country films'....?
tekez

Return to Film Talk