Most visually astounding?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most visually astounding?

Postby Zors » Sun May 11, 2003 12:38 am

Someone above mentioned Basquiat - Jeffrey Wright was incredible. He is such an underrated actor when it comes to films. At least he is appreciated on Broadway. A very talented performer.
Zors

Postby chelentano » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:37 pm

Don't forget:
The Man and the woman
chelentano

Postby chelentano » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:42 pm

Also Nostalgia by Tarkovsky as most of his films have astounding cinematography.

You can see that Tarkovsky has fine arts background. So do Parajanov, Eizenstein and Fellini.
chelentano

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:19 pm

One of my alltime favorites is Fellini's Juliet of the Spirits, with its surreal dream sequences. And Fitzcarraldo, where Herzog risked starting a civil war when a few natives were crushed while moving a paddle boat over a mountain.
dianem

Postby leslie.clark » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:28 am

hi , new here, no one appears to have mentioned Dersu Uzula. Completely takes my breath away every time I watch it
leslie.clark

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:50 am

Regarding the Conformist (great film).Check colas comments as he is right on the money,the Parajanov films are unique!
gratefultiger

Postby mezincescue » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:04 am

"The Conformist"/breathtaking murder scene/.
"Rashomon" and /sorry, "the Road Worriorr"/.
I would love to hear from above member Chelentano /by the way, it is "C", not "Ch", or at least "Tchelentano"-if you
want to keep the right sound of your chosen name:
why on earth did you find "The nostalgia" by Tarkovsky
so "mesmerizing"?At least his early films had a great cameraman. And, no - he did NOT have a "fine arts background", he just watched a lot of Bergman's movies
and thick art albums. He is a total flake, but he knew
wellhow to please the intellectual audience, just as Speilberg knew how to appeal to general public.
All his films are pretentiouse, superflouse BOGUS !
mezincescue

Postby auteur » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:55 am

ANDREI TARKOVSKI
Mr. Tarkovski was much influenced during his formative years by his father Arseni's notable poetry, which Andrei included in Mirror, Stalker, and Nostalghia. His aim was to create a poetic cinema while exploring metaphysical issues. This is accomplished through rapt observation of the present moment rather than plot-driven obsession with what comes next. I respect those who simply state they have no interest in poetry, metaphysics or philosophy, or admit they watch movies simply for diversion. Others hide their lack of interest and limitations(attention and educational deficits, etc) behind meaningless labels like "pretentiose"(his spelling) and insults like "total flake".
auteur

Postby groom_daniel » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:13 am

Well, for what it's worth, here's what Bergman felt about Tarkovsky:

"When I discovered the first films of Tarkovsky, it was a miracle. I suddenly found myself before a door to which I had never had the key…a room which I had always wished to penetrate and wherein he felt perfectly at ease. Someone was able to express what I had always wished to say without knowing how. For me Tarkovsky is the greatest filmmaker"
- Ingmar Bergman
groom_daniel

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:18 am

visually astounding--if you mean beautiful photgrpahy, i'd say "hero," and "Ju Dou" and Visconti's "death in venice."
smurfrevolt

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations