Most visually astounding?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most visually astounding?

Postby Gaz » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:09 pm

Death in Venice certainly - Pasquale de Santis should have won an Oscar for his cinematography.
Gaz

Postby darkthirty » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:33 am

Agree re: Tarkovsky, especially in Rublev, Mirror, Sacrifice and Stalker. Bela Tarr's Werckmeister Harmonies is also a visual feast (someone else mentioned Satantango by Tarr). Reggio with Glass makes eye-food too. On the other hand, Greenaway is so shallow and glib that, to me, all his films look like (and are) a series of vomit puddles.
darkthirty

Postby immunomist » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:56 am

I really think that Walkabout should be in there somewhere.
immunomist

Postby Gaz » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:18 pm

Absolutely - Nic Roeg's cinematographer's eye has ensured his status as one of the greatest visual film directors. Don't Look Now, while not as arresting as Walkabout, also uses images in a striking and original manner.
Gaz

Postby texan_gal » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:55 am

Hero directed by Zhang Yimou. One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
texan_gal

Postby pre-tender » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:04 pm

Yesterday i saw Spirited Away and Hero, both of they were visually great, i could not close my eye even a tiny moment, especially Hero presents a unique visual poetry...
pre-tender

Postby auteur » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:20 pm

Did you watch [i]Hero[/i] at a theatre? I had to watch it on dvd because apparently the studio who bought the distribution rights has decided not to release it in the US.
The only film I saw all year that delighted my eyes that much is Russian Ark. I also had the opportunity to watch Polanski's [i]Tess[/i] again recently. What a gorgeous looking film that is.
auteur

Postby jasjesbe » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:11 am

I watched [b]Ju Dou[/b] at a theatre and it was visually stunning. And the film as a whole was astonishing.

I watched [b]The sheltering sky[/b] at a theatre and it was visually stunning. But it was a bore.
jasjesbe

Postby mir » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:43 am

In addition to the movies already mentioned, what about Michelangelo Anonioni's L'aventurra
mir

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations