Domestic Reviews Overseas

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Domestic Reviews Overseas

Postby chicagotag » Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:46 pm

Does anyone know what foreign countries say about our films, such as which ones they like very much? Im interested to know which of US films got popularity and respect in foreign countries
chicagotag

Re: Domestic Reviews Overseas

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:15 pm

When you start making films in the us,ie films of substance and about the realities of real life that have not got space aliens and Exploding things with sirens and helicopters and so called big stars who are mostly talentless and only play themselves and not as Characters from a film,LET ME KNOW. I Have a very few films from America and until you start making films that appeal to adults and not Children then i may add to the Shawshank Redemption and Once upon a time in America.Also it would not go a miss for your country to give credit to the talents of Europe who direct most of your films and have very talented actors.When you see three chaps from America picking up the Award for Gladiator and feeling so Embaressed they had to say that this award should go to the Uk as they are responsible for 99 % of this film,then it will not change peoples views in Europe.My country the Uk has had a huge cash injection since we got our new government back in 1997,sadly it shows that the more films you make then the more shit manages to come to the Surface.American films on the whole are ok if you want to be Entertained but they would do well to take a leaf out of the book of Cinema Francais.This Country is years ahead of any country when it comes to Proffesional Film Making. ps no time for a spell check
HASSELBAINK007

Postby mfuentes » Fri Nov 02, 2001 5:02 pm

In Mexico blue velvet was voted the best foreign film of the 80s by critics. In the 90s lone star, crimes and misdemenors, barton fink-millers croissing-fargo, magnolia, and the player got pretty good recognition. Still the rate good to bad movies favors heavily the bad ones. And, we consider Spilberg very untalented.
mfuentes

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:17 pm

Look up results of international polls,such as Sight and Sound,(each decade 1952-1992,another due this year),FIAF centenary list,etc.Many can be found on TOP 100 Movie Lists website.
The top American films in certain polls:
Russia,1995;Citizen Kane,Intolerance(the only 2 in the top 10 overall).
Romania,1995;Citizen Kane,The Gold Rush,The General,Greed,Sunrise,Casablanca(the only 5 in the top 30)
Germany,1995;The Searchers,Taxi Driver,Vertigo,Citizen Kane,North by North West,To Be or Not to Be(all in the top 10)
Sight and Sound,1992;Citizen Kane,Vertigo,Raging Bull,The Searchers,2001:A Space Odyssey,Singin in the Rain,The Godfather/Godfather2,Modern Times,City Lights,The General,Sunrise(in the top 20 overall,adding votes of critics and directors).
So,quite a few older classics and silents.For a very different list,see the recent Channel 4(Britain)poll of viewers ,which gave itself the most inappropriate title,The 100 Greatest Films.This has more than enough American films included, reflecting public taste.
john-5

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:04 pm

Popular taste in far from being a sign of quality-Channel 4 Yuk
HASSELBAINK007

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:25 pm

No,i wasn't pleased by the Channel 4 poll either,to put it mildly.
john-5

Return to Lists and Recommendations