Eine Kleine Filmliste (Just for Fun)

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Eine Kleine Filmliste (Just for Fun)

Postby wvq » Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:35 pm

I'd like this list to constitute some sort of conversation piece, although I fear that my rather conservative selections will fail to elicit much chatter among the cineastes here. Oh well, I might as well chip in my two cents anyway. As my list will reveal, I have auteurist sympathies. (It does make the history of cinema so much easier to digest, doesn't it?)

Let's call the order very roughly preferential. (I apologize in advance to all you Antonioni, Kiarostami, Rossellini, Oshima, and Rivette fans. I would add something but can't due to lack of either acquaintance or strong preference. I refuse to apologize to all the Fellini, Bergman, and Herzog fans out there. Well, I sorta liked Herzog's Fata Morgana, but Fellini and Bergman? Come on.)

Dreyer: Ordet / Vampyr
Lang: M / (and from his American period:) Fury / Scarlet Street / Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
Ozu: Tokyo Story / Late Spring
Godard: Vivra sa Vie / Two or Three Things I Know about her / Ici et Ailleurs
Bunuel: Las Hurdes / Los Olividados
Mizoguchi: Life of Oharu / Sisters of the Gion
Davies: Distant Voices, Still Lives / The Long Day Closes
Tarkovsky: Stalker
Vertov: The Man with the Movie Camera
Dudov/Brecht: Kuhle Wampe (It's much better than they'd have you believe)
De Sica: Umberto D
Feuillade: Les Vampires
Bresson: L'Argent / Au Hasard Balthazar
Renoir: A Day in the Country
Hamer: Kind Hearts and Coronets
Fassbinder: Fox and His Friends / Effi Briest
Eisenstein: Ivan the Terrible, Part I

And if we're going to allow American films (let's call the order here non-preferential):

Welles: The Magnificent Ambersons
Laughton: The Night of the Hunter
Lubitsch: The Shop around the Corner
Romero: Martin (No, Seriously.)
von Stroheim: Greed / Queen Kelly
Murnau: Sunrise
Hawks: Scarface
Polonsky: Force of Evil

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of good stuff. Suggestions, anyone?

wvq

Re: Eine Kleine Filmliste (Just for Fun)

Postby shoehorn » Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:52 pm

Good choices. However, no best list is complete for me without:

The Apu Trilogy - Satyajit Ray
Diary of a Country Priest - Robert Bresson
Ikiru - Kurosawa
Leolo - Jean-claude Lauzon
Lamerica, Stolen Children - Gianni Amelio
Wild Reeds - Andre Techine
Red Balloon - Lamorisse
Quince Tree Sun - Victor Erice
O Lucky Man - Lindsay Anderson
Forbidden Games - Rene Clement
shoehorn

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:23 am

Pleased to see Mizoguchi,Tarkovsky and Renoir.A Day in the Country is such a lovely little film.I can't get enthusiastic about Fassbinder,i'm afraid,and those wouldn't me my Godard choices.I've come to admire Ordet more, on 2nd and 3rd viewings-its qualities don't thrust themselves in your face,but the controlled decor and exquisite use of black and white,and various tones of grey are quite exceptional.I remember Angelopoulos,the Greek director, wondering how anything could be so perfect. I'm delighted to see Sunrise and Night of the Hunter on your list,i suspect you have a deep knowledge and understanding of cinema,even if of course i don't share all your tastes. I think sharing such lists is important,to prompt people to reconsider existing judgements and try those films not already seen.I'm not the greatest fan of my namesake,Davies,but i'll perhaps give him another try.Kind Hearts and Coronets is certainly one of the best British films.Are you German,or was your EineKleineFilmliste misleading?The politics of Kuhle Wampe are fine by me,but i wasn't exactly blown away by it.I might try it again,though.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:31 am

I'd like to add that i love Tokyo Story,and Man with a Movie Camera is brilliant.Also,that i agree Bergman and Fellini are overrated-Bergman's one great masterpiece is Persona,i'd say.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:42 am

i should also hasten to add,i have heard of Mozart!
john-5

Postby Mr. West » Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:38 pm

I'm glad to see Fassbinder in your list. I actually haven't gotten to see those two films that you mentioned. The reviews I've read of 'Effie Briest' have all said that the film is unbearable, though. I've been thinking of buying a couple of his films from Amazon ('Fox' is one that has caught my attention). Here are the ones I've actually seen so far:

Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?
The American Soldier
Beware of a Holy Whore
The Bitter Tears of P.V.K. (very good)
Merchant of Four Seasons (my favorite)
The Stationmaster's Wife
Satan's Brew (god, that was awful)
Marriage of Maria Braun
In a Year of 13 Moons
Veronika Voss (pretty awful too)

Mr. West

Postby john-5 » Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:23 am

i agree with "Matron and her charges",that The Marriage of Maria Braun is Fassbinder's best,though several others aren't to my liking.
john-5

Postby Mr. West » Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:44 pm

No no, I said I think 'Merchant of Four Seasons' and 'Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant' are his best. 'Maria Braun' is fairly good, but I think it's pretty overrated.
Mr. West

Postby john-5 » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:37 pm

Sorry,can't have been paying careful attention(2 films beginning with M).
john-5

Postby jancso » Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:34 pm

john, what don't you like about Two or Three Things I Know About Her?

And speaking of Godard, what does everyone think of A Married Woman?
jancso

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations