best of 2001

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

best of 2001

Postby somegreatmovies » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:05 pm

anyone else but me miss the bitter nasty feuds some people used to get into on this site... well, hopefuly I'll spark some debate by listing my list of best for 2001:

1. Mullholland Drive
2. Time Being (Andrew Noren), Va Savoir?
3. Three Buisnessmen
4. Flo Rounds the Corner (Ken Jacobs), The Back Steps (Leighton Pierce), AI, Faat Kine
5. Man Who Wasn't There, Micro-Garden (Brakhage)
6. Heart of the World, In the Mood for Love, Werkmiester Harmonies, Tailor of Panama, Moulin Rouge, The Ground (Robert Beavers)
7. Freddy Got Fingered, Eureka
8. Ghost World, Suzhou River
9. Under the Sand, Monkey Bone
10. Brother, Shrek, Heist, Love's Refrain (Nick Dorsky)

Biggest Letdown: In Praise of Love

Re: best of 2001

Postby somegreatmovies » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:07 pm

should be noted that I have not yet seen Royal Tennebaums nor Waking Life but I get the feeling they would place somewhere on this list

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:14 am

I assume you are joking about Freddie Got Fingered universally considered the worst film of the past decade. In that case I should throw out your whole list, but your number one grants some forgiveness. My own top ten would be. . .
1. Moulin Rouge
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Royal Tenenbaums
4. Vanilla Sky
5. A Beautiful Mind
6. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
7. Amelie
8. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
9. Shrek
10. Amores Perros

Postby ygie » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:53 am

Y Tu Mama Tambien.
Mulholland Drive.
The Piano Teacher.
Monsoon Wedding.
Son Of The Bride.
I believe "Amores Perros" and "In the Mood for Love" are from '2000.

Postby ygie » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:34 am

The Devil's Backbone.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:00 am

Most of youse got the best of them.

1) Amelie (A Masterpiece. I watch it at least once a month)
2) Mulholland Drive (Lynch's best since "Eraserhead")
3) Gosford Park
4) Amores Perros
5) In the Bedroom
6) Last Orders
7) Monsoon Wedding
8) LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
9) Monsters Inc.
10) Royal Tennenbaums

Postby bmxsuperhero » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:19 am

I'm going to have to violently disagree with Ghost World, a film I considered to be one of the biggest fiascos of 2001.

Postby bmxsuperhero » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:43 am

I have no official list of top ten films, so I'll just rail off the titles I can think of that affected me in a postive way from 2001: À Ma Soeur! [Fat Girl] (Catherine Breillat), The Business of Strangers (Patrick Stettner), Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly), Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain [Amélie] (Jean-Pierre Jeunet), Hatuna Meuheret [Late Marriage] (Dover Kosashvili), Hedwig and the Angry Inch (John Cameron Mitchell), Hell House (George Ratliff), Human Nature (Michel Gondry), In the Bedroom (Todd Field), Joy Ride (John Dahl), Lost and Delirious (Léa Pool), Me Without You (Sandra Goldbacher), Monsoon Wedding (Mira Nair), Mulholland Drive (David Lynch), No Such Thing (Hal Hartley), The Others (Alejandro Amenábar), La Pianiste [The Piano Teacher] (Michael Haneke), Rain (Christine Jeffs), The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson), Scratch (Doug Pray), Series 7: The Contenders (Daniel Minahan), Tape (Richard Linklater), Waking Life (Linklater), Wet Hot American Summer (David Wain), Xingfu Shiguang [Happy Times] (Zhang Yimou), Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuarón).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:01 am

Why didn't you like "Ghost World"?
Do you have something against originality?

Postby bmxsuperhero » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:40 am

Poppa, I won't dignify your sarcasm with an answer, but I will give you a breakdown of the reasons why I hated Ghost World. My emotional connection with the characters isn't a firm indicator of my like or dislike for a film. For example, the characters in "Cries and Whispers" were repugnant human beings... but that didn't affect my admiration for the film. In Ghost World, the characters were putrid, specifically Enid. The director was obviously in love with her character, or he wouldn't have clumsily exited all the other minor characters out of the film as amateurishly as he did. Illeana Douglas', Scarlett Johansson's, and Brad Renfro's characters are all given proper introduction, only to be swept under the rug in favour of Enid. Zwigoff, who had only previously directed the documentary Crumb, has horrible timing for comedy. Enid's character lacks any sympathy, seeing as how Zwigoff lets us know little more about her than telling us "She's hip, in an unhip kind-of-way"... but we could have picked that up through the trailor. Ultimately, I was so infuriated with the film (and its unwarranted praise) that I was tempted to storm out of the theatre, for I couldn't care one way or the other what happened, ultimately, to Enid.

Return to Lists and Recommendations