Best performance by a child?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best performance by a child?

Postby Arletty » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:15 am

Fabrizio Forte AS Young Gavino

La Notte di San Lorenzo
the child in this film

I saw a film in the early 80s about a young boy set in I think Rio. He was raped in a boys home then became a child prositute then became obsesses with needing a mother to the point where he tried to suckle on an adult friend. The child in this was amazing. I think the title started with X but I can't be sure.

Taviani Brothers made beautiful heart wrenching films. I recommend their work to you.

Postby patsfan86 » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:54 pm

The film set in Rio you are thinking about is 'Pixote'. A vey sad ending to that story in real life as the star of the film, I think he was about 12 when the film was made but I could be wrong, died before the age of 20 on the streets of metropolitan Brazil.

Postby nickpilarski » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:57 pm

What about the kid from the film "The Color of paradise"

Postby Gaz » Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:30 am

Three child actors who perhaps ought to have been in my list, but whom I neglected at the time, are:
Billy Chapin and Sally Jane Bruce (Night of the Hunter)
Bobby Henrey (The Fallen Idol).

Postby Gaz » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:36 pm

Catherine Demongeot in Zazie dans le Metro.

Postby for_me_blue » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:55 am

Nadya Mikhalkov - Burnt By The Sun

And in my opinion the best of all was:

Andrei Chalimon - Kolya

Postby shaylahilt » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:46 pm

can't forget the kid in cinema paradiso!

Postby Gaz » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:52 am

After years of promising myself I'd watch it I have finally seen John Boorman's Hope and Glory, and I must say Sebastian Rice-Edwards is a more than worthy addition to this ever-growing list of young talent. (Not so young now though - he must be about 30.)

Postby bootsie32000 » Tue May 20, 2003 3:07 pm

I thought the children in Rabbit Proof Fence were great, especially Sampi(?), the oldest girl.

I usually don't like child actors since it never really comes off, especially in N. American films because every one is conscious of making them cute which in the end makes them weird.

I find the kid from AI a rather mannered actor for his age and watching him makes me very uncomfortable,which may have more to do with Speilberg's direction.

The one kid I liked was the little girl in Enough. She was almost as good as Danny in the Shining, truly cute, no sugary stuff shoved down your throat and a real child with that spontenaity or vulnerability that any professional loses no matter how young.

Postby auteur » Wed May 21, 2003 1:51 am

I second everything in Jpaddock5's excellent post. If you haven't, do yourself a favor and seek out [i]CRIA[/i] and [i]THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE[/i].
Eamonn Owens ia an irish actor who debuted at age 13 in Neil Jordan's [i]The Butcher Boy[/i]. I was totally riveted by his fevered, possessed performance as Francie Brady. Mr. Owens has since appeared in [i]The General[/i], [i]Angela's Ashes[/i] and [i]The Magdalene Sisters[/i].

Return to Lists and Recommendations