Iranian Cinema

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Iranian Cinema

Postby mani_fh » Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:34 pm

"In the past decade, Iranian films have won nearly 600 awards at international festivals, where directors such as Abbas Kiarostami and Mohsen Makhmalbaf are recognized as among the cinema's most accomplished artists."

What do you think about Iranian Cinema?

Re: Iranian Cinema

Postby costas.antony » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:12 am

I'm a big fan of Iranian cinema. In the space of a few months I have accumulated about 17 Iranian films to add to my collection. I am always amazed though how some films get past the Iranian censors such as Baran and The Hidden Half for example.

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:27 am

i haven't watched any Iranian films. Is "Children of Heaven" from Iran? If it is, I liked it. Very grass-roots. =0)

Postby IndianSummer » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:41 pm

Most iranian movies are excellent stuff.

my first exposure to movies from iran was at an iranian film festival in new delhi when i was in high school. i saw movies by Makhmalbaf, Parviz Sayyad and Ahmadreza Darvish and was totally hooked. I had to wait another 2 years for another iranian film festival to be held, this time shown on national television. all the movies/documentaries were excellent. I'm a big fan of Roosari Aavi and Babk Payami.

now that i'm in the US for my undergraduate studies, it's harder to come across iranian movies. but i'm sure i'll find a way...:)

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:08 pm

Iranian cinema these days is probably the the best going around,stuff that moves you & makes you think & so easy to watch,i have seen over 30 and have yet to see an ordinary one.Kiarostami is the "Renoir" of iranian cinema for me,definately in the first rank of modern directors.
He is very highly regarded here in Australia where we are lucky enough to see his & others films all the time.- cheers

Return to Lists and Recommendations