Best/Worst in my opinion

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best/Worst in my opinion

Postby ndibra » Sat Feb 02, 2002 10:37 pm

Hi all! I was so happy to find this board where we can all share our thoughts and suggestions on the movies we have seen..

Here are some of my favorites:

Raise the Red Lantern
To Live
Life is Beautiful
Like water for Chocolate

The ones that were INTERESTING:
Le'Enfer
The Color of Paradise
Red FireCracker Green Firecracker

Funny Foreign:
Shall we dance
The Wedding Banquet

There was a nother..I cant remeber the name: the one where this English /Arabic family (wife red head) were marrying off their sons and none of them wanted to be re arranged?
It was very interesting and I thought the part when the double engagement was happening was SOOO funny..

So/So..
Before the rain..I felt this one had SUCH potential and then bombed out

I absolutley DID NOT LIKE:
Cabbeh
Green papaya
The Pillow Book

I know there are more I just cant think of them now..I am off to Blockbuster NOW actually..that is what brought me to the list..I wanted to get some ideas..
I think I will rent
Il Postino
I will let you know!

ndibra

Re: Best/Worst in my opinion

Postby Peter196783 » Wed May 15, 2002 2:02 pm

I RECOMMEND YOU SEE: THAT MAN FROM RIO. I THINK YOU WILL ENJOY IT.
Peter196783

Postby jasonrichardsmith » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:30 pm

For shame to attack peter greenways pillowbook. great film, great editing and great cinematography. bah. I fart in your general direction.
jasonrichardsmith

Postby john-5 » Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:47 pm

As I was also disappointed by The Pillow Book (not one of Greenaway's best, imo), i hope the wind is not blowing in my direction. It's not a patch on (the Welsh director's) The Draughtsman's Contract. The original book The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon (the diary of a court lady in 10th century Japan) is quite wonderful- the film makes reference to it, but has not much in common, otherwise. Gabbeh's a lovely film, but not for all tastes, i'll readily admit.
john-5

Postby somegreatmovies » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:01 pm

how about Gabbeh is a brillant film... also, greenaway is a hack... though Pillow Book is tolerable
somegreatmovies

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:46 am

Scarce on the picks, and a few too many newer films but there is one thing you are correct on, and that is To Live and Raise the Red Lantern. Everything from Yimou is brilliant and these two may very well be his two best. If looking for suggestions anything by Godard, Bunuel, or Antonioni is good, or at least worth watching.
wpqx

Postby ygie » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:00 am

I wouldn't say Gabbeh is brilliant, maybe beautiful to "look" at, but brilliant, I don't think so.
Brilliant would be "Flowers of Shanghi" an awesome film. Totally underrated!
ygie

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:55 am

Anything by Wong Kar-Wei and Tsai Miang-Lang, the only truly interesting directors doing anything new in my opinion.
bigpoppa_2059

Return to Lists and Recommendations