Great Directors' 10 best Films:Mizoguchi

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Great Directors' 10 best Films:Mizoguchi

Postby john-5 » Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:02 pm

Mizoguchi's 10 best?
Sisters of the Gion
Story of the Late Chrysanthemums
The Loyal 47 Ronin
My Love has been Burning
The Life of Oharu
Ugetsu Mongatari
Sansho the Bailiff
Chikamatsu Monogatari
Yang Kwei Fei
Tales of the Taira Clan
Also:Osaka Elegy,Gion Festival Music(A Geisha)..
john-5

Re: Great Directors' 10 best Films:Mizoguchi

Postby john-5 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:49 pm

Don't bother with 10, as his films are difficult to access. Had i seen Miss Oyu (a beautiful little hidden gem) when i did this i would have definitely included it. Any comments on the great man welcome. At least there's to be a book- "Mizoguchi and Japan"- by Mark le Fanu, later this year, but in Britain we'll probably have to wait till 2006 (half- century after his death) apparently for a range of DVD's to be released.
john-5

Postby wpqx1 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:09 am

I'm amazed that you could even find ten MIzoguchi films. I have had a hard enough time finding six. Of that bunch though I would pick Ugetsu as his best. The rest all have their moments, but seem too intentionally pessemistic.
wpqx1

Postby john-5 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:09 pm

I had to get some videos (good value) from Fnac, French internet shop- with French subtitles. For once a little knowledge of French came in handy.
john-5

Postby HenryGinsberg » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:42 pm

I've only seen Sansho the Bailiff. It is truly one of the most beautiful and moving films ever made. It was also the film that introduced me to Japanese cinema.

I still haven't been able to find any of his other film. Is there any particular reason why they are so hard to find?
HenryGinsberg

Postby wpqx1 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:16 am

If you are from America, then good luck finding Mizoguchi on DVD. Only the 47 Ronin are available. Look hard enough on VHS and you'll find some of the videos released by Home Vision. They include Ugetsu, Life of Oharu, and others. New Yorker Video, a company that blows, put out several others, but let them all go out of print.
wpqx1

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:37 pm

Besides the more well-known Sansho, Ugetsu, 47 Ronin & The Late Crysthemus (sp?) Mizoguchi's films are harder to find than a needle in hay. So many great movies to see that unless you pay outrageous prices on eBay or are lucky enough to find them at your local library/specialty video store, you never will. Ugestu is my fav btw.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby john-5 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:59 am

Life of Oharu is to have a cinema release (with The Lady of Musashino) in London next month. So should get a video re-release. Ugetsu, Sansho and Tales of the Taira Clan are on video in UK (can be rented or bought by mail order from MovieMail) but may not suit US machines?

It's staggering that such a great director (4 films in Sight and Sound critics' top 100) should be so neglected. And the literature on him is hardly overflowing. At least there's a forthcoming book "Mizoguchi and Japan" (?) by Mark le Fanu who did an excellent one, though with a few errors caused in translation, on Tarkovsky.
john-5

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:39 pm

Yes Mizoguchi is neglected,let's hope the japanese powers that be open the vaults so we can see more of his brilliant cinema,as he did over 60 films (from memory).
gratefultiger

Postby john-5 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:20 pm

He did over 80, most of these in the silent era and 30's- but most are lost; about 30 left apparently.
john-5

Return to Lists and Recommendations