age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

Postby jecakehayias » Thu Jun 14, 2001 2:07 am

I am 29 and live in Southern California. I love foreign films but they are very hard to find in my area (or maybe I am not well informed since I recently moved here). We should start a club in this area and go watch them together! I am open and have friends (25-30) that share this interest. Email me if someone has any ideas...
jecakehayias

Postby itwasashark » Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:34 pm

32 years old, here! Love foreign films because they are rich in stories and character and feeling. My first foreign film was Forbidden Games (1952) I found while switching channels on TV three years ago.
itwasashark

Postby genghizkhan66 » Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:36 pm

TO RANGER !!
Hi , Ranger believe me, most of my close friends are actually above the age of 40 so you are OK :))
I find them easier to talk to and some people around my age actually thought I am stoic, jaded and boring haha!
Anyway to your question.

Yes ALL the movies I've mentioned ARE and WILL BE subtitled in English especially if you get them in the USA.
If you happen to get them from an Asian distributer or Asian country...then they will be subtitle in more than 15 Asiatic languages as well as English.
It will depend on which country they came from.

Here I will again put in the titles and a little info, hopefully it will make it easier to find them:

A Mongolian tale Dir. Xie Fei (Mongolia / China) co-production - a love/life drama set in the vast steppes of Mongolia.
Devils at the Doorstep Dir.Jiang Wen ( China ) Black comedy/drama about Japan occupation in a Village.
Song of Tibet Dir. Xie Fei (China/Tibet) Love of a women with 3 men in her life.
Man walking on snow Dir. Masaki Kobayashi ( Japan ) Family drama
East palace west palace Dir. Zhang Yuan ( China ) Homoxexuality in old Beijing
The emperor's shadow Dir . Zhou Xiaowen ( China ) similar to Emperor and the Assassin.
Red Beard
genghizkhan66

Postby genghizkhan66 » Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:36 pm

TO RANGER !!
Hi , Ranger believe me, most of my close friends are actually above the age of 40 so you are OK :))
I find them easier to talk to and some people around my age actually thought I am stoic, jaded and boring haha!
Anyway to your question.

Yes ALL the movies I've mentioned ARE and WILL BE subtitled in English especially if you get them in the USA.
If you happen to get them from an Asian distributer or Asian country...then they will be subtitle in more than 15 Asiatic languages as well as English.

Here I will again put in the titles and a little info, hopefully it will make it easier to find them:

A Mongolian tale Dir. Xie Fei (Mongolia / China) co-production - a love/life drama set in the vast steppes of Mongolia.
Devils at the Doorstep Dir.Jiang Wen ( China ) Black comedy/drama about Japan occupation in a Village.
Song of Tibet Dir. Xie Fei (China/Tibet) Love of a women with 3 men in her life.
Man walking on snow Dir. Masaki Kobayashi ( Japan ) Family drama
East palace west palace Dir. Zhang Yuan ( China ) Homoxexuality in old Beijing
The emperor's shadow Dir . Zhou Xiaowen ( China ) similar to Emperor and the Assassin.
Red Beard
genghizkhan66

Postby genghizkhan66 » Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:46 pm

TO RANGER !!
Anyway to your question.

A MONGOLIAN TALE Dir. Xie Fei (Mongolia / China) co-production - a love/life drama set in the vast steppes of Mongolia.
DEVILS AT THE DOORSTEP Dir.Jiang Wen ( China ) Black comedy/drama about Japan occupation in a Village.
SONG OF TIBET Dir. Xie Fei (China/Tibet) Love of a women with 3 men in her life.
MAN WALKING ON SNOW Dir. Masaki Kobayashi ( Japan ) Family drama
EAST PALACE WEST PALACE Dir. Zhang Yuan ( China ) Homoxexuality in old Beijing
THE EMPEROR'S SHADOW Dir . Zhou Xiaowen ( China ) similar to Emperor and the Assassin.
RED BEARD Dir. Akira Kurosawa ( Japan ) clash between an aging dedicated doctor and a young arrogant intern.

Of these few titles I have manage to see only 2.
Mongolian tale and the Emperor's shadow. Both are excellent.

Yes, I have seen Emperor and the Assassin , along with Seven Samurai and Kwaidan . Its the first DVDs I purchase after I got a DVD Player :))
The DVD release here in Asia under region 3 includes
English (American), Chinese( 3 sub- groups ), Korean, Indonesian, Malayo, Thai.
Dialogues are is their original language.

Regards

Genghiz
genghizkhan66

Postby genghizkhan66 » Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:52 pm

PLEASE FORGIVE:
I accidently pressed something and the messages came out incomplete in the first two.
Please ignore. The correct message is the final 3rd one.

Again I amreally sorry.
Genghiz
genghizkhan66

Postby mouse » Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:25 pm

I'm 37 and been a foreign film fan most of my movie going life. Hollywood be gone!!!
mouse

Postby dld52166 » Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:19 pm

I'm 35 and I've been watching foreign movies for more years than I can count. I like all of them, but I believe I started watching when I was taking French in school and it just grew from there. I still really love French films and a lot of Spanish films, but I've expanded my horizons to just about every language. If it's a good movie I don't care what language it is so long as it has subtitles if I don't understand it. I'm not against American movies and I still think we make some very good ones but I do tend to favor independent films and foreign films. There is good and bad in all types of film. I know several people who like foreign films and they are around my age and some are actually younger. Many people can get into them once someone gets them started -- I say they sometimes suffer from Subtitle Phobia. I know one person that got into it after buying a DVD player and goofing around with the language/subtitle settings on some of the DVDs. He realized it was okay to hear one language and read another and he is about 29. I live in a rural town but I work in Chicago so I am lucky to be able to see foreign films on the big screen pretty much all the time. Chicago gets just about everything that's released. I have just recently seen The Widow of St. Pierre and With a Friend Like Harry here and there were people of many ages in the theater. "Harry" definitely had everyone from teenagers to people as old as maybe 90.
dld52166

Postby Bleu » Sun Jul 15, 2001 1:39 am

I'm 22, started watching foreign films when I began taking French at 11. I still mainly watch those films in the languages that I've studied (French & Italian), but I've branched out a bit as I've gotten older :)
Bleu

Postby peter.ruggles » Sun Jul 15, 2001 2:07 pm

I'm 57. I enjoy foreign films especially involving children because most American films don't have a clue. I get films from the "Cinema Cafe" section for artsy stuff.
Unfortunately the stores which have the best foreign or artsy or older films seem to go out of business which is a sad commentary on our culture. I can't even get classical music at the local Blockbuster.
peter.ruggles

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk