10 best Malle films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

10 best Malle films

Postby pia01evb » Tue May 14, 2002 10:50 am

1.Au Revoir Les Enfants 2.Le Feu Follet 3.Le Souffle Au Coeur 4.The Indian Phantom 5.Les Amants 6.Lacombe,Lucien 7.Atlantic City 8.Zazie Dans Le Metro 9.My Dinner With Andre 10.Milou en Mai Also Lift To The Scaffold,Vanya On 42nd Street and Pretty Baby.
pia01evb

Re: 10 best Malle films

Postby john-5 » Tue May 14, 2002 4:26 pm

I've had mixed reactions; most enjoyed Le Souffle au Coeur. Au Revoir Les Enfants may be his best, Atlantic City impressive, too. Les Amants was fun. Didn't find My Dinner with Andre appetising, Le Feu Follet rather tediously depressing, imho, though i know many rate it among his best.
john-5

Re: 10 best Malle films

Postby Gaz » Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:33 pm

Le Souffle is my favourite film ever - I could watch it at any time and in any mood. Lacombe Lucien is stunning, as is Au Revoir les Enfants. These would be my Malle top three. I love Atlantic City too, and I can understand why Les Amants was so important. As for My Dinner with Andre, I watched it once and quite enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I could do it again. I have tried to watch Le Feu Follet on several occasions, but haven't reached the end yet - I'm sure it's worth it, but it's so heavygoing!

For me, Malle's work with child actors marks him out from the rest - only a few (Truffaut, maybe Spielberg, Bergman in Fanny and Alexander) can match him. In Le Souffle Au Coeur and Au Revoir les Enfants in particular the casting is faultless.
Gaz

Return to Lists and Recommendations