5films i love tohate

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: 5films i love tohate

Postby patsfan86 » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:25 am

Frankly, I think 'A Clockwork Orange' is the most overrated bunch of tasteless, worthless, pointless bunk I have ever witnessed. How that same mind could produce Dr. Strangelove is utterly amazing.
patsfan86

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:58 pm

yes,i used to love a clockwork orange when i was young but i grew up now my young daughter loves it ,must be in the genes.at least i have turned her on to tarkovsky so she will learn what's possible.stuff a "CROCKWORK LEMON"
i hate the bloody thing!kubrick can be so cold & that's not just because he is dead,DR STRANGELOVE is my favourite english language film....cheers
gratefultiger

Postby admin-2 » Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:32 pm

I'm happy that someone's mentioned CLOCKWORK ORANGE (I' saw it at least 20 times as a kid). I don't hate it, but I think that one of the poster touched on the problem I have with the film. It's a young person's film! It's a lovely way to introduce kid in their late teen to "serious" cinema, but I think, more the most part, we end up growing "away" from it as we get older.

to gimferrer: The reason I hate SCHINDLER'S LIST is because of the scene with the little girl. Up until that point I was caught up in the story and, although I won't say I was "enjoying" it, I was rivetted. Then the little girl comes in and she's the only one in colour. ARRRGH! I said on another site that this was a sign that the "new", "serious" Speilberg was actually, "A Neil Simon pretending to be a Shakespeare! A Danielle Steele pretending to be a Jane Austen! And worse...He was still just a Spielberg pretending to be a Kubrick!"

Oh yeah...QUERELLE? It's a bad film, but I pee myself laughing whenever I see it!
admin-2

Postby nickpilarski » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:08 pm

Ok Life Is beautiful was very god and same with Amelie. I think you don't like them because they are "alternative movies" and they made it. I also think that people like that terrible film Clockwork Orange because it's "alternative." I admit that I do get quite upset when a total meet head gets upset when they try to brag about watching a "foreign film." But I have learned to accept that, if its good then its good regardless of who wrote it or directed it, or acted in it.
nickpilarski

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:27 pm

One thing in response to what has been mentioned about 'A Clockwork Orange', actually I liked that earlier referrence of 'A Crockwork Lemon', being a young person's film. That is an accurate label as far as I have been able to ascertain, but I saw the movie for the first, and only time, at around age 16 or 17 and couldn't stand it from the start. Just exactly what was Kubrick trying to do, make me dream about penises all night? Four other films I did not like:
Lord of the Rings(watched it while babysitting my nephew-sorry, but it had to be qualified)

Pretty Woman

Boogie Nights

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

patsfan86

Postby katsuben » Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:26 pm

My Fair Lady (make your bed...abhorrence)

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (make your bed and do the dishes and dust...assert a bunch of midgets...yuk)

Jamaica Inn (awful Hitch, awful Laughton)

Ninja Scroll (in contrast to options such as Miyazaki, I find anime of this kind unimaginative and epistemologically abusive...but Heavy Metal 2000 is ten times worse)

Gigi (I have a block with this film, I have no idea why I hate it...)
katsuben

Postby katsuben » Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:35 pm

admin-2

I think the selection of Happiness is a good call. I saw the first half in 4:3 one time and liked it so much I demanded widescreen action at a later date. Since this is impossible without shelling out, I watched it again. Got to half-way thought it wasn't having the same affect. Got to the end (just) and wondered how an interesting beginning could wander so astray. It felt like average PT Anderson to me. I think the social dysfunction concept is all Solondz has, one kernal of an idea that his clearly mild mannered educated existence cannot rationalise beyond spite and scorn. I think I can see him going down the same path as Tim Burton. The estranged geek who makes films with jock badguys. Still getting over the punishment of high school. Burton should make an American Pie 3 and cast Solondz as a hall monitor.
katsuben

Postby H20gateburgler » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:40 am

Some day I'm going to find someone willing to climb down from their ivory tower and agree with me that WAGES OF FEAR is not exciting, breathtaking and tense but just a plain bore.
H20gateburgler

Postby patsfan86 » Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:13 am

It won't be me.
patsfan86

Postby Gaz » Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:33 am

Time to shake things up a bit: I love My Fair Lady - it's an absolute masterpiece. But...I don't like (shock horror) L'Avventura! Please someone argue with me.
Gaz

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations