5films i love tohate

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: 5films i love tohate

Postby katsuben » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:28 pm

Wages of Fear...i have only seen it once, and at a time when i was mess conducive to being critical. invoking it in my memory, i would probably agree, given its length, that it does not realise a comprehensive tension throughout. i still think it's well worth a look, though.

I must apologise for My Fair Lady...I was thinking Julie Andrews and crossing my wires with Audrey. I meant

MARY POPPINS

(hence my bedroom reference makes sense...any ideology that asserts cleaning the bed as necessarily a *fun* activity is, in my mind, dubious. we all know that bedroom fun involves creating a ruckus.) I do like the umbrella though.
katsuben

Postby chris » Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:36 am

I finally saw The Night Porter after years of searching for it and I must admit to my terrible disapointment.What a wretched piece of pretentious art nonsense.What stopped me from ripping it out of my DVD player was watching the lovely Charlotte Rampling.What were they all thinking?
chris

Postby mark_med_2 » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:15 pm

L'Avventura by Antonioni was a complete bore to me. Before I get flamed by everyone on this message board, let me explain why...It certainly wasn't the cinematagraphy; that was absolutely the best part of it. Nearly every frame had a picturesque quality to it. Black and White films don't get much better looking than this. I think what left me so cold while watching this film was the "language" Antonioni invented for portraying his new ideas for film. Each shot was so artificially staged: Characters stood in doorways within doorways, or stood in front of windows that looked out into nothing, saying nothing. I've seen this movie 4 times now, the last being about 2 weeks ago, and on that occasion, I decided to listen to the alternate commentary track by a film historian just to see what I was missing from my interpretation of it. This film buff, who's name escapes me, just gushed all over it. Even with the meaning of all the sets, locations, backgrounds, body-lanquage, and non-existant dialogue explained to me, I still couldn't keep from yawning at all the effort and pains Antonioni took to remind us that these were "un-emotional" and "insecure" privledged people of the upper classes. Other than Monica Vitti's quiet, underplayed role, there wasn't anyone with a drop of sincerity or passion in them. I'm not sure if it was exactly the subject matter or the concentration required to decode the whole thing, but by the end, I was left feeling more than a little bored and relieved to see it finally end. I should mention that I've seen several other Antonioni films and really enjoyed them! Blowup was beautifully shot and intriguing to ponder with an extremely intense final third of the movie. Red Desert had some incredibly haunting images, but wasn't as interesting as Blowup. Has anyone else noticed these points about L'Avventurra or am I being dense? This is only my opinion, and should not prevent anyone from enjoying it if that is what they like. I just wanted to express my own reaction to this "masterpiece".
mark_med_2

Postby Gaz » Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:52 am

I'm onside about L'Avventura, but if you don't like it then why is it no. 4 on your top 10 list?
Gaz

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:37 am

some people grow up that's why films they liked before, when they watch them again, they're not so good anymore. Right. so being a young person, I've got a lot more films to watch, but, yeah, i don't like star wars. and matrix reloaded is bad. life is beautiful, and talk to her. and I don't like 'The Hours' either. It did remind me of three colors Blue though...
smurfrevolt

Postby mezincescue » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:33 am

Films get dated. And we get older and start to dislike what
attracted us before. Still, some of us keep "the favorites"list forever.My list of favorites had changed
and a lot of it fell out of the list, including Pasolini
Bunuel and above mentioned "L'Avventura". The "hate" list
though, started to grow and added "Cinema Paradiso", "Life is beautiful" and much more to ever hated classics as
"Death in Venice", "Andrey Rublev" /and all Tarkovsky/ and
"The Sounds of music". The cornball comes in different forms, but those packed as "intellectual" is no less junk
than any Hollywood junk, just not so straightforward.
mezincescue

Postby wpqx » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:00 pm

This intrigues me. Most films I love to hate are American. I think Vertigo is garbage and even Topaz is a better Hitchcock film. Let's not forget Shane a god awful western if ever there was one. Nothing can be hated more than boring three hour Oscar winning Hollywood musicals though. West Side Story, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, and especially Oliver are among the worst films ever. I can't forget Mel Brooks' The Producers the most obnoxious and unfunny comedy ever made, even Dracula Dead and Loving It was better Brooks. As for foreign films I'll just ask what the hell everyone praises L'Atalante for.
wpqx

Postby Gaz » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:29 pm

My own opinions are almost exactly the opposite to everything above - I love Vertigo, The Producers and all the musicals above, especially My Fair Lady. As for L'Atalante, I suppose if you don't get it, you don't get it.
Gaz

Postby felipejuanfroilan » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:53 pm

OK wpqx, the beauty of L'Atalante is its reality. Pretty woman can be a good fiction romantic film, in L'Atalante you only see love and poetry in a REAL relationship. And I think it is the first realistic film in Europe, after the success of expressionism and surrealism. And afterwards, Rossellini over the rest.
felipejuanfroilan

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:04 pm

L'atalante is imagination & innovation an excellent study of love & marriage,Vertigo is a look at a man who wants to have sex with a woman who is dead!Both worthwhile subjects for film :)hasn't wpqx ever been in love? to bag these 2 classics is staggering.
gratefultiger

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations