age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

Postby clkotila » Sat Sep 15, 2001 12:54 pm

38. I've been enjoying foreign films since my early 20s.
clkotila

Postby chris » Mon Sep 17, 2001 3:14 pm

Hi,I,m 41 from New Jersey.First foreign film evar was Knife in the Water when I was 12 or saw.It ran on PBS and was a big deal for my parents,although it went over me just a bit then,thanks.Am waiting for Dekalog to be released,local polish video store has ordered it.
chris

Postby dongam » Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:33 pm

I'm 60 and they gave me a day pass to get out of the Smithsonian. I've enjoyed foreign films since I was in college in the late 50's. So often I just go to a foreign film without knowing much about it (I live in San Francisco so there are a number of opportunities). I am a bit more cautions with Hollywood films. Perhaps that might be due to the fact that Hollywood films do not undergo the export process (which may limit the number of films of less than stellar quality?). Its a rather new experience for me to find myself the senior responder-seeing that I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.
dongam

Postby mafonsobraga » Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:31 pm

I'm 36. To brasilian people is funny to say "foreign film". We don't consider a film as something "foreign" (exotic,uncommon, strange or else), it's just a work of art. We don't say "foreign sculpture" or "foreign book"...
In Rio de Janeiro is possible to see films from France, USA, Italy, Spain, Iran, UK, Argentina, Mexico, China, Vietnam, Japan any day, and young people rush in.
mafonsobraga

Postby stof_ » Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:03 pm

I'm 17. Ive been watching foreign films for about a Year. None of my friends are the type that would enjoy foreign films(the guys think Scary Movie is a good comedy and the girls think Bring it On is an amazing piece of cinema). I kind of stumbled onto foreign films being played late at night on Tv. They're just so much better than what Hollywood makes. Ciao Professore is my favourite film of all time.
Theres also Canadian film. It started out as a "patriotic mission" of sorts. you'd think that seeing Canadian film in Canada would be a simple task. It isn't. unless you live in Toronto it's almost impossible to see great Canadian films. This really is a shame because Canada is seriously underated when it comes to film. Last Night is a must see.
stof_

Postby thegreatken1 » Thu Dec 20, 2001 1:51 am

I am 21 years old. I live in San Diego and I like anything foreign or independent. I think that Hollywood is crap. I live near four Landmark theatres, but go to two because the other two are in La Jolla (which is ten miles from my house). My favorites are "Run Lola Run", "Johnny Stecchino", and "Band of Outsiders".
thegreatken1

Postby cinemasmooch » Thu Dec 20, 2001 11:16 pm

All I know is that I was born in the fall (like Crocodile Dundee, except he was born in the summer) - and I like it that way!
cinemasmooch

Postby john-5 » Sun Dec 30, 2001 4:12 pm

i'm 40, from Wales:write on world cinema and am writer- publicist for Brecon Film Society(currently thriving, with packed audiences, which proves there's a demand for "foreign language" films).Given that most of the world's films are NOT in English-the "Bollywood" film industry alone is enormous- i certainly don't expect anyone could see them all in a lifetime,and who would want to? Anyway,i especially love Mizoguchi, Renoir, Tarkovsky and early Wenders,and Japanese cinema in particular.
john-5

Postby wanderingstar » Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:35 am

Doesn't seem like anyone has replied to this one in a while, but I'm eighteen. And, I suppose, been an avid film nerd since I was about 14, from which I progressed from watching "Nightmare on Elm Street" with my friends to the works of Atom Egoyan. I'm relatively happy that such films as Crouching Tiger, Amelie, and Brotherhood of the Wolf have gotten people around my age-group more interested in foriegn cinema, but as much as they may like those films, I can't see them sitting down and watching an Ingmar Bergman, or Francois Truffaut film.
wanderingstar

Postby Baldilocks » Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:25 am

I'm 40 and proud of it. I've seen a lot of foreign films and prefer them to most american
films to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning american movies; I just find
most of them quite banal, if you know what I mean? I think that the older you get, the
more appreciative you get of different culture movies.Anyhow this is my opinion and not
a statement, so I don't want anyone to be offended in anyway.
Cheers!
Baldilocks

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk