10 underrated films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

10 underrated films

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:14 pm

1.lancelot du lac
2.peeping tom
3.the hill
4.the oak
5.wake in fright
6.ashes of time
7.odd man out
8.repentance
9.battle of chile
10.othello (welles)

agreements,raspberries,or other faves most welcome
gratefultiger

Re: 10 underrated films

Postby H20gateburgler » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:41 am

Is the THE HILL the one with Sean Connery? I saw part of it and was really taken in, would love to see the whole thing from start to finish.
H20gateburgler

Postby katsuben » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:17 pm

Underrated to whom, is a/my question! Lancelot and Peeping Tom are considered masterpieces in some circles (see for instance Kristin Thompson's analysis of Lancelot in Breaking the Glass Armor; Laura Mulvey's commentary on the Criterion [?] DVD of Peeping Tom).

Aside from SHOWGIRLS (which I will keep mentioning in order to provoke an argument that is yet to occur), what do people think of:

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE
ATTACK!
HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT
SAHARA
HOUR OF THE WOLF
QUEMADA!
katsuben

Postby john-5 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:00 am

Yes, there's a difference between underrated and neglected by/unknown to the public. Almost all foreign language masterpieces fall into the latter category. Tarkovsky and Mizoguchi, among many others, are still awaiting proper recognition.

Some films i particularly like which deserve greater praise;
Maborosi, Alice in the Cities, Abraham Valley, The Green Ray, The Age of Innocence, El Cid, Tales of the Taira Clan, Pakeezah, Eternity and a Day (Cannes Palme d'Or notwithstanding).

Then there are films admired by critics but which should be much better known; Sansho the Bailiff, Sunrise,
Andrei Rublev, Mirror, The Colour of Pomegranates, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Celine and Julie go Boating, Ugetsu, L'Atalante, Orphee, Man with a Movie Camera, Spirit of the Beehive, even Tokyo Story and The Passion of Joan of Arc.

In America and the English-speaking world (and the top 100 here!), Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Bunuel and some films by Renoir, De Sica, Eisenstein have had recognition, but far too many wonderful films and talents are terribly neglected.
john-5

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:49 pm

Too true! so let's keep enlightening ourselves and learn from the glorious past as there is nothing new under the sun!
gratefultiger

Postby patsfan86 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:01 am

I don't know if this qualifies them as underrated or not, but what about the well known films that have but a handful of votes here on this site. Murnau's Faust, Gance's Napoleon, and one of the best representatives of the 'Soviet thaw', The Cranes are Flying are literally crying for an audience.
patsfan86

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:24 pm

right on!this is exactly my point people should just keep on looking for the more obscure,or not so well known films as there are so many gems,the films you cited are all classics but how many people have seen them? to me it's all about education.
gratefultiger

Postby wvq » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:44 pm

Is Tarkovsky really all that unknown to the public? Certainly, like all major foreign directors, he's not known well enough to the general public. But at least here in the states, I think he's part of the second tier of foreign film directors when it comes to name-recognition, which is to say that is to say that you can expect most pretentious college students who have any interest in the cinema to at least have heard of him or his work. He's not up there with people like Bergman, Kurosawa, and Fellini, but his films are pretty readily available (at least on video and DVD) and they're being seen by those with some interest in foreign cinema. Plus, Tarkovksy made a few films that fit into (or at least can be marketed as though they fit into) a genre, sci-fi, with some popularity, and so his work may be benefiting from exposure to a group of people who wouldn't have much interest in foreign films otherwise. I think there is evidence for this in the top 100 here, since each of his seven features--no, I'm not including juvenilia like The Steamroller and the Violin--has a place on that list. (I like Tarkovsky, but that does seem a bit much.)

I think there are other directors who have it far worse in these parts, including Dreyer, Bresson, Ozu, Rossellini, Ophuls, Tati, Mizoguchi, etc. These are some of the greatest directors in the cinema, and the attention given to their work is far too scant. Some of these directors (e.g. Bresson, Tati, and Ophuls) are more or less completely unknown. My experience suggests to me that you really have to be pretty serious about your film-watching to even find out about these people, and when you do find out about them, it can be a chore to find their work. The problem for these other directors is not that their work is completely ignored but instead that the vast majority of critical attention is on a few exemplary works at the expense of the rest of their oeuvre. People know about M and Tokyo Story and Ugetsu and The Passion of Joan of Arc, but how many people know Scarlet Street or Late Spring or Sisters of the Gion or Ordet? Look at the ratings here, and you'll get a distressing sense of what the answer must be. (By the way, I wholeheartedly agree that Mizoguchi is criminally ignored. There's no question in my mind that he belongs on the list of the five-or-so greatest directors whose work I'm familiar with.)

Ok, I'm sure this is enough prefatory crap for all of you. Now I'll just throw out a list of some films I think are underrated: Jour de Fete, The Joyless Street, Kino-Eye, Kuhle Wampe, Land without Bread, The Long Day Closes, Mikey and Nicky, New Earth, Numero Deux, The Nun, Park Row, Queen Kelly, Rancho Notorious, Sisters of the Gion, The Sun's Burial.

I'm sure I could go further with this, but that'll have to do for now. I'm aware that some of these films are already considered masterpieces in some circles, and for those films, I'm suggesting that the circle be widened.
wvq

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:24 am

Underrated can also be described as personal favorites to me. My number one would probably be Louis Friedlander's The Raven. That's the 1935 one with Bela Lugosi for those who care. As far as Tarkovsky goes his a brilliant genius who has gotten a surprising amount of recognition, certainly more than Parajanov or Yimou.
Well if I picked another nine for my list they would be as follows.
1. Les Carrabiniers (Godard)
2. Faust (Murnau)
3. Mississippi Mermaid (Truffaut)
4. Kanal (Wajda)
5. Interiors (Allen)
6. Deconstructing Harry (Allen)
7. The Magician (Bergman)
8. The Long Goodbye (Altman)
9. Twin Peaks; Fire Walk With Me (Lynch)
10. (as mentioned before) The Raven (Friedlander)
wpqx

Postby yesmon » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:56 am

A few more underrated films would have to include:
Fearless-Peter Weir
La Roue-Abel Gance
Schizopolis-Steven Soderbergh (Yeah, that's right)
The Heiress-William Wyler
The Stars Look Down-Carol Reed
The Hudsucker Proxy-Coen Brothers
Vampyr-Carl Dreyer
Umberto D-Vittorio De Sica
Babette's Feast-Gabriel Axel
The Marquis Of O-Eric Rohmer
yesmon

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations