Most overrated foreign films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Most overrated foreign films

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:27 am

I saw an underrated list, but what about the overrated. This is the perfect place for those strange creatures who hate Bergman and Fellini to voice your displeasure. So I will light a few firecrackers with my own short list. Keep in mind some of these films may be alright, but not as good as they're cracked up to be.
1. L'atlante (Vigo)
2. Rules of the Game (Renoir)
3. Wages of Fear (Clouzot)
4. The Last Laugh (Murnau)
5. Metropolis (Lang)

on the American side, I will just say one word, Vertigo.

Re: Most overrated foreign films

Postby Gaz » Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:51 am

You won't get me criticising Vigo, Murnau or Lang, and to put La Regle du Jeu on that list will be tantamount to heresy for some frequenters of this site.

For me, overrated foreign films might include L'Avventura, Diva and Jules et Jim, though this statement may cause a massive backlash in itself.

Postby Bacchus33 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:01 pm

I don't know about 'overrated' but at the moment I have problems with Godard, Bunuel and Pasolini. Bergman, Vigo, Dreyer and Renoir are my favourites.

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:31 pm

that's a big call i'm with gaz on this one renoir,lang,vigo,murnau all masters,& clouzot's film is an existential classic,i don't know what you're on but it sure is a worry.i have taken it on board & tossed it back over the side.the great directors reputations are still safe!

Postby patsfan86 » Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:59 pm

Murnau and Lang overrated? Rules of the Game overrated? Them's fightin' words man!

Postby ygie » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:39 am

I absolutley agree with you wpqx, Rules of the Game totally overrated.
I have to add a few more:
and the usual suspects:
Like water for chocolate.
Life is beautiful.
Crouching tiger (is this even worthy of being called a "foreign film"?)

Postby wpqx » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:30 am

Sorry to go back on here again but there seems to be some confusion. I am not arguing that Lang, Murnau, Renoir, or Clouzot are overrated directors. My bones to pick are with the individual films. So take the criticism indidually not at the filmmaker in question.

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:41 pm

la regle du jeu speaks for itself as well as a technical masterpiece,it beguiles you with it's attention to detail & the easy way it moves from comedy to tragedy ,farce,theatricality & above all the humanism of the piece .no one in cinema nailed humanity as did renoir.
but it demands to be seen again and again as it can't be understood with a couple of viewings as it is so ambiguous.
maybe some don't get it but to me it is an obvious work of genius by a genius (maybe it's too close to home for some who knows?) i don't but i do know a classic when i see one.
welles,luc - godard,truffaut,resnais,chaplin,bertolucci all
agree on that one!...cheers

Postby ygie » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:33 pm

This is such a personal topic, aren't they all. What is trash for one maybe a treasure for someone else.

Postby john-5 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:02 pm

Well, i love La Regle du Jeu, L'Atalante, Metropolis and Vertigo. I don't hate Bergman and Fellini- both fine film-makers- but let's say i'm a slightly strange creature in thinking them both overrated (particularly so in America, where it seems they can do no wrong). Only Persona would make my overall top 50, only 4 between them my top 100 "foreign language" films.

Return to Lists and Recommendations