Most overrated foreign films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most overrated foreign films

Postby pre-tender » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:22 am

i did not see so many foreign-films but these are those flick that i saw just for the highly-rating critics and film-buffs but also they were highly-dsappointing:

---all about my nother
---life is beautiful
---rapsody in august
well this does not mean they were aweful but not great as told !
pre-tender

Postby gimferrer » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:40 pm

how can All About My Mother be overrated, elaborate
gimferrer

Postby hasafran » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:35 pm

Vertigo is one of those movies that ,IMO, you must be mature to fully understand and appreciate, while Hitchcock's other films are more accessible with less living under your belt. Watch it again in 20 years and see if your appreciation has grown.
hasafran

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:21 pm

you've just hit the nail on the head ,the same can be said for "la regle du jeu" masterpieces don't date, like people do!
gratefultiger

Postby paredes » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:22 pm

I would have once upon a time agreed that "L'Avventura" was overrated. I first saw it as an 18 year-old and thought it was the apex of boredom. Then years later, I watched it again (Criterion DVD) and thought it was mesmerizing. To me it represented my growth as a film watcher that as an adult I could appreciate its subtlety and what it did for film language at the time that it was made. Then I showed it to all my friends, thinking they would hate it and find it deathly dull, and they (none of whom are huge film buffs) all enjoyed it and thought it was really interesting, admiring the effort even if they didn't love the result.
paredes

Postby Arletty » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:51 am

Betty Blue
Diva
Cinema Paradiso
Kolya
Riffifi
Arletty

Postby Bacchus33 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:05 pm

I am not trying to be deliberately provocative but here goes;

Ivan's Childhood,
La Bete Humaine,
The Gospel According to Saint Matthew,
8 1/2
Bacchus33

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:44 pm

oh no not at all!good to see you have a sense of humour
ivan's chidhood for a first feature length film is brilliant
how come u didn't notice the set pieces the acting ,the direction inspired by that master dhovzenko was the war too laid back? also la bete humaine with the great cast,robust train scenes (gabin actually drove that train from paris to la havre)the counter point to the murder at the dance hall OK the plot was a bit fanciful (based on zola),but overrated? i don't think so.
gratefultiger

Postby anoop_raw » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:38 pm

Here is my list:
1. The Seventh Seal
2. Kolya
3. North by Northwest
4. The Philadelphia Story
5. The Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover, 8 1/2 women...both directed by Peter Greenaway.
anoop_raw

Postby tumadretumadre » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:00 pm

All about my mother got oscar nominations... thats plenty of overating if you ask me.
tumadretumadre

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations