Most overrated foreign films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most overrated foreign films

Postby psharma88 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:30 pm

I agree with you I feel that a lot of movies have recieved overrateings and that some of them that you didn't name should be on your list of foreign movies to name.
I still here things about the movie Lagaan and there have been many better movies since then. I feel that all Indian Movies in general have been revolving arounf the same story...LOVE. And by the time you have seen so many you practically know the end to the next movie that you watch.
SO in conclusion I agree with you and will keep you posted about other films foreign films that have been overrated.
psharma88

Postby CulinaryJen » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:10 pm

Amelie
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
CulinaryJen

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:23 pm

good call!
gratefultiger

Postby MoonlightWanderer » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:56 pm

I must protest! Amelie is a wonderful film ---sure, it's not a "classic" but I really loved it! I agree on "crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", though. It's been so popularized everyone forgets it's really just an average foreign film. ( By AMERICAN standards, though, it's great. We just foregt that a lot of countries make better movies than we do. :D)
MoonlightWanderer

Postby MoonlightWanderer » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:00 pm

I also have a problem with your comment on Vertigo, wpqx! That is a masterpeice of an Alfred Hitchcock movie! The other ones are just suspense and thrill, but Vertigo.... has more. I swear, some people these days!
MoonlightWanderer

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:52 pm

yeah vertigo is a masterpiece, like la regle du jeu it demands & rewards multiple viewings,but like the latter u really have to pay attention as there is so much going on, but it is worth it.
gratefultiger

Postby Zors » Sun May 11, 2003 12:24 am

I thought Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was overrated. I also think Godard is HUGELY overrated. I have seen Breathless twice, both at different times in my life and I walked away scratching my head thinking "what the heck is the big deal about this?". I liked Alphaville, but didn't think it was all that great. And as much as I love Kurosawa, I think Seven Samurai and Rashomon are both overrated. Persona by Bergman is overrated as well. I like Bergman, but I think some of his films that are overlooked (Cries and Whispers, Fanny & Alexander) are a lot better than the ones that get all the hype.
Zors

Postby mezincescue » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:31 am

Cinema Paradiso
Andrey Rublev
Jules and Jim
The Battleship Potiomkin
Persona
everything by and with Gerard Depardieouuuuu
Like water for chocolate
etc, etc....
mezincescue

Postby Gaz » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:28 am

I'm not a big fan of Jules & Jim, though maybe I should give it another chance, as I love other Truffaut films. Don't agree with Potemkin or Andrei Rublev though.
Gaz

Postby groom_daniel » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:39 pm

The most overrated film I have ever seen is Nagisa Oshima's In The Realm of the Senses, which is one of the worst films I've ever watched.

Other than that, I usually have difficulty with directors rather than films -- Bresson, Pasolini, Resnais, Godard, Bunuel, even some Fellini, and I love Fellini.
groom_daniel

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations