Most overrated foreign films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most overrated foreign films

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:27 pm

Too True,Cocteau was magical!
gratefultiger

Postby patsfan86 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:54 pm

Hands down........Andrei Rublev
patsfan86

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:15 pm

Joke, right?
Gaz

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:29 pm

No joke. I've watched it 4 times, once while getting quite drunk hoping that might help in the enjoyment end of it......no luck. I like all the other films I have seen by Tarkovsky(sp), especially My Name is Ivan. But Rublev is just brutal to me.
patsfan86

Postby Gaz » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:41 pm

Of course there is some unsavoury brutality, but there's also beauty and splendour - like the crucifixion, the casting of the bell and the beginning and end of the film. And what about the snow falling after the sack of Vladimir? Poetry in film of the highest order.
Gaz

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:35 pm

I will admit that I liked the casting of the bell and the 'poetry' of the film you mentioned as well as the camera work are to be commended, but as an overall experience, I just don't see it like the majority seem to. But hey, to each his own, right?
patsfan86

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:40 pm

Gaz, I will agree with you on a few things. I'll never see the day that I would see Battleship Potemkin as overrated. And, I never have been a fan of Jules et Jim either, but love Truffaut on the whole. I have not watched my copy of Y tu Mama Tambien yet. Maybe I'll do that today.
patsfan86

Postby Gaz » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:14 pm

I recommend it. And Le Boucher too.
Gaz

Postby ustink » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:40 pm

Any Almodovar film!
ustink

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:36 pm

As a pedant, I must point out that Jamon Jamon for one is not an Almodovar film, as your comment on that page suggests - it was directed by Bigas Luna. Not a bad director by any means.
Gaz

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations