Stanley Kubrick

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Stanley Kubrick

Postby stevan » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:21 am

I think that Stanley Kubrick's career is the greatest for a director. Not only he had the last word against the big studios in most of his films, even when they didn't look like blockbuster hits at all (2001, Barry Lyndon), but also because of the wide range of genres he worked on, I mean, 2001, a Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, etc: what the f*ck do they have in common besides being almost masterpieces and all from Stanley Kubrick? Isn't the greatest directorial career ever?

Re: Stanley Kubrick

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:45 am

strangelove is his masterpiece have you noticed that he is as cold as a maggot (meaning his films lack warmth for humanity)but i like him just the same.technically brilliant!

Postby skagrl666 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:25 am

I believe one of his best films was "Full Metal Jacket." Very powerful...

Postby Gaz » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:57 am

Nobody's yet mentioned my personal favourite Kubrick film, the masterpiece that is Lolita.

Postby hasafran » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:32 pm

My personal favorite is Barry Lyndon. He caught the concern with superficial ornamentation of the rococo period perfectly in vision, form and feeling.

Postby thegreatken1 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:54 pm

Kubrick may have the best directorial career ever, but he croaked along with "Eyes Wide Shut".

Postby dbfilmmaker » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:12 pm

In order of greatness:
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Paths of Glory
The Shining
...I refuse to put EWS on this list

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:59 am

I'm sorry but "Lolita" and "The Shining" were not good films. I love Kubrick as much as the next guy, but they were WAY too long and indulgent. Barry Lyndon, Clockwork, 2001, Strangelove, and Full Metal Jacket arer the greats.

Postby Europa » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:36 am

Unfortunately I feel that Stanley Kubrick is one of the most overrated directors of all time...he was more of a pseudo-intellectual, than an intellectual; continually failing to get to grips with his chosen subject matter, which was often complex and intellectually demanding.
Even projects such as The Shining by Stephen King, fell short of the mark, where the author himself stated that Kubrick didn't grasp the essence of his book.
Also 2001: A Space Odyssey, though visually impressive for the time, was on a narrative level, rather incomprehensible...if one hadn't read the book.
People are under the misapprehension that because a director's work is influential, it is automatically of artistic merit - one only has to look at the embaressingly unsophisticated films of Sam Fuller, to see this.
Having good ideas is not enough, the capacity to express them successfully in an artistic manner, differentiates between mediocrity and genius.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu May 15, 2003 4:45 am

Come on guys...The Shining? That movie is really not good at all. And this is coming from a Kubrick fan. 150 minutes? WAAAY too long. He could've easily cut off 50 minutes from the movie and it would've been better. Same with Lolita. Too long and tiring. Adrian Lyne's version with Jeremy Irons was better. Full Metal Jacket is good but overrated. Some call it the greatest war movie ever...huh? The first act in the training camp is brilliant, but the rest is a letdown. His supreme masterpieces have got to be 2001, Strangelove, Barry Lyndon & Clockwork Orange.

Return to Lists and Recommendations